Bottom bouncers and harnesses Bottom bouncers and harnesses Bottom bouncers and harnesses Bottom bouncers and harnesses
  1. Default Bottom bouncers and harnesses

Ill be launching out of Mickeys on Sunday and fishing by the pair and toledo harbor light trolling harnesses. What would be the right weight of the bottom bouncers and do you tie on a swivel to your line then attach the bottom bouncer? Also how much line would I let out, Ill be trolling three to four rods . I wont be using planer boards unless I have to I only have two. What would be a good speed to troll these at thanks for the help in advance.

Default line out

A rule of thumb for pulling worms. Try to stay under 1.5mph. 2 oz weight , for every foot down in depth it takes 2 feet of line back. This works out for 1.2 to 1.5 mph. If you are going faster like 1.5 to 1.8. Its 3 ft back for same depth.
    Worms are better with low speed. When I drift, which is most of the time, I try to keep my speed under 1.5. Same for trolling with worm. Feet back works if the fish are up high, then if they are very high, go with also less weight.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

3. Default

Thanks for the help

If your not going to use boards, use 6 oz bouncers in the front rod holders, 4 oz in the middle holders and if you have another on board use 2 oz in the back holders. That way you won't get any tangles. If only 2 of you, use 4oz and 2 oz bouncers if that's all you have. It doesn’t matter if you make/buy yours from 1 ft long to 5 ft long. The weighting system is what’s going to determine your depth along with your speed. Taking speed out of the picture for now. Get your boat set at let's say 1.2 mph to start with. Put out a harness on the heaviest bouncer. Let out line on your line counter reel with your thumb lightly on the spool till you touch bottom. Right there your harness would be running approximately 4 to 5 ft off the bottom once the bouncer reaches the boats speed/water drag against your line etc. Let out line and touch bottom again, your harness would be 3ft off bottom. Touch again and your lure will be running just off bottom if not tagging the high spots on the bottom. Do that with each bouncer and you know where your running. And can repeat.

Rookie walleye guy here. I am reading and taking notes.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    If your not going to use boards, use 6 oz bouncers in the front rod holders, 4 oz in the middle holders and if you have another on board use 2 oz in the back holders. That way you won't get any tangles. If only 2 of you, use 4oz and 2 oz bouncers if that's all you have. It doesn’t matter if you make/buy yours from 1 ft long to 5 ft long. The weighting system is what’s going to determine your depth along with your speed. Taking speed out of the picture for now. Get your boat set at let's say 1.2 mph to start with. Put out a harness on the heaviest bouncer. Let out line on your line counter reel with your thumb lightly on the spool till you touch bottom. Right there your harness would be running approximately 4 to 5 ft off the bottom once the bouncer reaches the boats speed/water drag against your line etc. Let out line and touch bottom again, your harness would be 3ft off bottom. Touch again and your lure will be running just off bottom if not tagging the high spots on the bottom. Do that with each bouncer and you know where your running. And can repeat.

i could be wrong here but wouldnt you want your lightest weight to the front and outside of the other ones. that way you can bring it in over the deeper ones thats closer to the boat. i know thats how we run our divers. i run my front rod with a 4 setting then let it out to get me down where i want to go, then i run the middle one on a 2 1/2 setting and 20 ft shorter. then my back rod i run on a one setting 20 ft less than the middle rod. then we can bring them in and put them back out without tangling them. the weights should be the same way, or i think so. but this is just my opinion and doesnt make it right.
    sherman

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    i could be wrong here but wouldnt you want your lightest weight to the front and outside of the other ones. that way you can bring it in over the deeper ones thats closer to the boat. i know thats how we run our divers. i run my front rod with a 4 setting then let it out to get me down where i want to go, then i run the middle one on a 2 1/2 setting and 20 ft shorter. then my back rod i run on a one setting 20 ft less than the middle rod. then we can bring them in and put them back out without tangling them. the weights should be the same way, or i think so. but this is just my opinion and doesnt make it right.
    sherman
    It was mentioned he wasn't using boards unless he had too. My reply was to that option. Other wise yes, outside board is shallowest running. For you guys learning this stuff, here's some short articles I wrote over the years with some good tips etc. Just read the ones that interest you. I will say, if you can go out and fish with someone who knows this stuff and you learn first hand is the fastest, easiest way to do that.
    http://www.dwfonline.org/articles.htm
    Last edited by ebijack; 06-09-2012 at 02:54 AM.