great day out of sterling state park great day out of sterling state park great day out of sterling state park great day out of sterling state park
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default great day out of sterling state park

went out this morning(8 am) out of sterling state. stopped in 20fow and started seting out lines. kept heading towards the deeper water. got 2 eyes on before we got all the rods out. white bass sheephead and eyes on a feeding frenzy. went thru 4 dozen crawlers in under 2 hours( non stop). fished until 11 am (had to go to work) got 5 nice eyes and lost 2 more at the boat. also had 3 throw backs. one of them was 7 inches. never caught an eye that small. using 2oz bb with many different harnesses between 1.4 and 1.9 on gps . did not matter what color the eyes were hitting anything. the wind quit blowing and the lake went flat and the fish quit biting. any ideas on how to get a bite when the lake lays down?

Post Thanks / Like

Fished again today out of Sterling. We fished alot of areas today. Couple here, couple there. Tough day. Lots of sheeps. Ended up with 9 again. Heard of a couple limits some on spoons, some on bouncers/harnesses. We got nothing but junk fish on the bouncers. When the lake laid flat, we were doing from .9 to 1.2, anything faster and we did not get any bites, but still marking alot of good marks. We had alot of board sinkers doing that. They would sink the board and then let go. Bring it in and the middle of the crawler would be gone. Time and time again. So fast you couldn't grab the rod in time. We got more walleye up high. 6 to 9 ft down. The lower/deeper the worm, the more the junk fish. Had a friend come out and fish by us with his dad and son. They got 5 inless than 2 hours doing the same.

Post Thanks / Like

jack
    so when the lake lays down do you got to slow down to get them to bite? have you had sucess with that? when it got flat everything quit biting on us. even the sheephead.were you getting them on spoons mostly? were you using mini divers? i have never fished with spoons for eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were running spoons, just keep going usually in the 2 to 2.5 mph range right now has been working for the guys running spoons. I have to admit I'm lazy and prefer running harnesses/spoon harnesses as I get better results with alot less line out. I'd rather run 15 to 45 back ( inlines/bouncers vs jets or mini disks) then 80 to 120 back. But if the bugs are bad, go with the spoons and keep a breeze on ya. Yes for me, when it lays down I will slow down using harnesses. Typically .8 to 1.2 max with 1mph average. I loose alot of fish that way when the mayfly hatch is going like it is now. As they don't bite real hard/solid but I tend to get alot more bites then if I was doing 1.4 up. Another trick is if your inlines are shallow enough to not snag bottom, do a semi hard turn to stall the boards on one side. We got a triple hook up yesterday and a double doing just that. Among those were short fish also but fun.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info jack. i will try it next time i go out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default sterling thursday

I fished out of sterling ThursdayJune 7 pulling crawler harnesses and spoon harnesses. started around 8 am and had eight by 10 30 am . the other four came slower but we finally got them. 41.52.4 and 83.13.6 was one way point for general area. I know guys were pulling faster but speed for us that worked best was 1.3 . we had success in the am at 20 to 28 back behind 1 oz in lines and in the late morning early pm on 3 oz bb 50 to 60 back. purple was definitely the color whether it was bead color or spoon color. also this is my first post so I hope I post it right

Post Thanks / Like

The wife and I headed out at daybreak. Weather guessers were wrong again. Big surprise. Anyway, stopped in 25 f.o.w., not many marks at all. Trolled out almost to the line. Nothing. Ran back in to 23 ft,First fish of the day.. BIG surprise. had a couple throwback shorts and 1st keeper walleye. Trolled towards the line again as it was solid 2's with 3 and 4's thrown in. Ended up going back to 23 ft. Bingo, 5 more in the box. We had 11 by 9:30. Lost 20 + that took the board under then let go. Took 1hr 45 mins to get the last one. Biggest was 23 inches, a few 22 inches the rest shorter. .9 to 1.2 mph, any faster and we didn't get bit at all. Not one single walleye on a harnesses but we tried. Every one came on spoon harnesses. We ran regular harnesses till when we had to get the last one. Here's a few...

Post Thanks / Like

Default long lining

Ill be out tomorrow using 2 to 1 1/2 oz bb with out boards wanted to know how much line i should let out say if im in 23 feet and also if i move to 15 fett

Post Thanks / Like