5-23 Bolles Eve report 5-23 Bolles Eve report 5-23 Bolles Eve report 5-23 Bolles Eve report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 5-23 Bolles Eve report

Launched at 4pm. Was headed east to fish west of West Sister but waves to big for 20' Lund to run in (NNOWA weather is never right) so sat down in 25 ft of water. Marking fish, about 4 other boats in area. Started trolling harnesses with in line birds, 1oz snap weight at 50 back, had 2 before lines set. Light purple and fire tiger. Third fish on within 15 min, a three foot wave hit us and turned the boat and the fish ran under motor, cut line. That ended the trolling. Put out drift socks started casting and they did not want it. To slow I think. Bottom bouncers didn't work either. Left at 9 pm with just 2 fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought, if your trolling and catching fish, the wind/waves are good enough to make your drift close to your trolling speed. Don't put any bags out, use bouncers and cast weapons. Works just like trolling. If you think your moving to slow with the bag out. I've done that quite a few times when trolling was to difficult to stay in controll. I only use bags when I have to get down to a crawl while drifting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default slow but got a few

we went casting out between west sister and turn around 26-27 ft of water on 5-23-2012. water was flat in the morning and picked up to 2ft we left dock at 6 back at 2. 3 guys caught 15 eyes threw 5 back kept 10. the short fish were 14 - 15 inchers to close to keep.nice day used home made weapons casting some were high some off bottom. lots of white bass and white perch few sheephead would catch a bass and have fish follow it to the boat but they did not have milk so i think they are done spawning. caught few crappie at dock they had eggs and were still hard. so ill take a day to crappie fish at dock

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ebijack, yeh that is a good thought, just not sure on keeping weapon at proper depth. When trolling I had 1 ounce at 50 back. When casting I would guess I had 1/2oz. They definitly wanted it at a speed I could not duplicate with drift socks, I am going to remember what you have said. Another thought I had on my 1 1/2 ride home was I should have just cut down to 2-3 rods and just kept trolling, but in 2-3 footers I don't always think well. Thanks for the advise and thanks to everyone reporting as I count on it alot being able to only come down every three weeks or so.

Post Thanks / Like

With bouncers in rod holders ( use heavy bouncers like 4 to 6 ozers) to keep them almost straight down. Cast out weapons, use the count down method and reel back in at a steady speed so you can repeat after contacting walleye.

Post Thanks / Like

When it gets that rough I just troll with the waves. Several times this year my kicker wasn't even in gear and one time I didn't even turn it on. Let the waves push me 1.5, 1.7 and instead of trolling back up wind, just pull gear, run back to start and repeat. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After I started drifting I noticed a boat running up and trolling back downwind, but thought I could get them to go. Time to change tactics goes by so quickly on the water. Sunset before I new it. The fish we caught right away were in top third of water column I believe. We were marking fish at all depths. Sorry I can't give exact cordinantes but 25 ft of water as you head straight east out of Bolles Harbor. For you guys who may not launch there very often make sure you head south to end of entry channel bouy's before you head east because it is very shallow quite a ways from shore. Had to relearn that lesson on the way in last nite.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, with my 18fter Reeltime, by the time it's solid 2 to 3's I either have to run cross waves ( which I do) or drift sideways as I'll be doing over 2 mph on average.If I try to troll with the waves
    Last edited by ebijack; 05-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default up high

play the swing get on the corner of boat cast up wind when lure hits water tighten your line count down 5-8 then reel use a medium retrieve keep it up the more you cast the better the odds fish were hitting when the lure would change direction but keep tight lines or you will not feel the bite

Post Thanks / Like

Default wave report

I find that windguru is much more reliable than noaa site. type in windguru all one word then it will direct you to forecast then when the 4 boxes pop up go to the select spot 251 choices click on right lower box hit lake erie what ever is closest to you and then hit go and the lake erie wind forecast will pop up and it is very accurate it gives you wind in knots and gusts also wind direction. I use to hate going to noaa drive an hour and a half just to sit on the shore and watch.

Good luck this year fellas