looking for some help looking for some help looking for some help looking for some help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for some help

HI all,
    I just purchased a new boat and am looking to update the sonar/GPS. I really like the pictures on the Lowrance elite DSI. Is anyone running this unit? Also if you are did you put a chip in it or is the base map ok for erie? THank you all for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the lowrance with chip and I never pick up sonar like the pics could be error on my part but I've tried everything and still not super clear
    21' trophy cuddy
    Lowrance hds 7
    150 hp saltwater mercury
    "god made man but Samuel colt made them equal"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile lowrance unit

troy you been on our boat we have older lowrance unit with chip
    and love it . Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Just has a X-16 take a crap. Still have a X-16 and X-15 and run chips in them. Was thinking about going to the elites as they are basicly the same units, just 5 inch screens. On which chip to buy, it depends on what your wants/needs are. I have 3 different chips. For me I don't like the 1ft contours as it's too many lines on the screen and for erie you really don't need that detail.

Post Thanks / Like

I run HDS-7 with insight for my GPS/Chartplotter and Furuno for my sonar. I guess if I had to run only 1 unit with GPS and sonar it would be Lowrance HDS. The key to the good sonar picture is the transducer.

Go somewhere like Bass Pro, West Marine, or Cabelas where you can play with a demo unit and zoom in to Lake Erie and see how you like the base map.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the information everyone.

The new boat has a graph from 1988 on it and a separate garmin GPS. I really liked the 520c that is on my first boat. I think I am going to go with the elite 5 DSI w/GPS.

Wayne- the new boat is going to be called summer huntin, according to the boss lady. Cant wait to get it in the water!

troy

Post Thanks / Like

Default DSI Machine

Hey Troy, if you are primarily going to fish Erie i would not go with a DSI unit, a better choice for you would be the HDS 5 Lake Insight, Dsi is better for looking at structure, downed trees, stumps, brush, fish mark more like little specs or dots, compared to the normal hook shapes of a good broad band sonar, call me if you want i will be at Bass Pro Rossford tonight, we are # ! in sales for Lowrance in the country and have a great staff ....Ed 419-691-8470..Home # also have a couple used HDS 7s with only a few hours use...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with eriepro. Maybe the Elite 5 but not with DSI. HDS would be my pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought an HDS 5X and love it after finally figuring out how to get the most out of it. Bought it because the price was right and the Lowrance Outlet Store was giving away a Shimano Calcutta B CT-50B baitcaster with the purchase, making the deal even sweeter. I really think you would be happier with the HDS series!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default New hds -10 lowrance unit

Quote Originally Posted by captain polish View Post
    I have the lowrance with chip and I never pick up sonar like the pics could be error on my part but I've tried everything and still not super clear
    I recently bought the new HDS lowrance with dual freq transducer. Despite proper installation of the transducer the clarity of the depth finder portion is just not there like the pictures in their brochures. I have talked to many technicians and veteran fisherman but nothing changes. It acts like you have very low numbers of pixels despite there being plenty of pixels for the high dollar price of the unit. I have had older lowrance units with great clarity and separation but not with the new ones. Unfortunately I bought two of them for my two boats and they both are the same way. I bought a garmin to use for the depth finder portion now because the lowrance depth finder picture is so bad. I use the lowrance for the side imaging and gps component.
    Very upsetting especially when you buy two units and they are the same way