pulling worm harnesses pulling worm harnesses pulling worm harnesses pulling worm harnesses

Default pulling worm harnesses

when i had my smaller boat with a kicker motor i loved pulling harnesses on bb around 1 mph.now with my pennyan i cant get that slow and i always end up with a twisted mess.i use quick change clevis's and wonder if that might be the problem...any ideas on what my problem might be?also wondering about these new worm haulers....are they worth the time?

Worm haulers, wormburners, spoon harness, etc... basically a spoon with a small harness behind them. I pulled them last Sunday with 2 oz. inline weights and 16 of our 18 fish came on them. You can pull them up to 4 m.p.h.

Get some big trolling bags to slow your speed. Quick change clevis for the blades are fine. Make sure you run a good quality swivel.

We didn't have any problems running the quick change clevises up to 1.7. Like Wes said, get the bags to slow you down. Good Luck!

Greg

Alot of people take the time and effort to tie their harness snells and build them with beads, blades and clevis! They then try to skimp on the swivels they use. The worst harness out there will catch several fish over one of the best out there unless you use a quality swivel. I personally will not use any swivel that is not a ball bearing swivel they just make life easier.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I learned several years ago at a boat show seminar that you can tie your trolling harnesses a foot or so long, then use a 6 foot leader with a swivel on each end to attach them to the line. The speaker said this will allow the rig to be pulled faster without tangles. I'll be damned he was right, now when I make my trolling harnesses I tie them all this way and use the leader and never have a tangle issue be it with colorados or willows. I have found that the colorado pulled slightly quicker catches a good number of fish. They claim this is due to more noise/ vibration and I beleive it. Tie a few about a foot long then try them out. You will be suprised. They are also very easy to store on the regular harness tubes.

I have actually taken it one step futher and made all of mine on hard wire about 3 to 4 inches long some with removable hook snells and others with replaceable hook snells (I am still expermenting with this part). I then use a 5 to 6 foot leader with ball bearing snap swivel on one end and ball bearing swivel on the other. They have been working great so far and when my old style are finally gone all of my new ones will be made this way! It eliminates the hassle of switching out the harness while on fish or worrying about the snell breaking from the wear of the clevis on the snell line, as well as storing those long harness snells, no more hooks tangling things up or getting stuck in other equipment or fingers. Patterened them after the old fashioned lures of the late 50's. I will get some pics up in the next week all my stuff is at my camper.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

how do you do the wire as far as tying them and getting the hooks to stay? I would be interested as I had far less hassle-like zero-the last few years using these shorter harnesses. However, I still get frusterated by having to pick up beads from a rolling boat deck when the line wears out.

I bought one of these from Janns Netcraft! and the wire I get off of EBay. This was one of the best investments I have ever made in fishing supplies. I just put on the beads, blades and form the ends. Then I either crimp the short snell to the wire with sleeves or use the small hooks that are available from Janns also. Still not sold on the small hooks yet. I have been using the size 1 snaphooks which are the largest ones. The second link is a vidieo of the tool!

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-fo...ls/421150.aspx

http://poulsencascadetackle.com/pages/twis_tech.html

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-lin...ng/810960.aspx
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS