Gas difference ? Gas difference ? Gas difference ? Gas difference ?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas difference ?

Headed to the lake next week. Have a gas powered IO. Can we get gas on the way that will be cheaper than at the dock yet preform as well without harming the engine? Sorry if this has been posted before and I should know but don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas

I was on the lake Friday and gas at turtle creek gas dock was $4.33 a gal and right now in port Clinton it is $3.86. I hope this helps but I myself don't know either if it will make a difference on how the boat will handle the cheaper gas. But we only run cheap pump gas in my dads boat but it has a new mercury 115 hp outboard and it's a trailer boat, and it runs great on it!! hope this helps you out good luck fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of theories on this myself have yet to get straight answer low ethenal or no is best depends on compression ration one weather u need premium safe bet is use it. But I have ask people what I should do and they tell me to make sure u get no ethenal even though I've been w them when they fill up at the car pump. What I do is fill at normal station that I know has 5% and put in stabil ethanol reducer some also use cfoam. Hope that helps
    21' trophy cuddy
    Lowrance hds 7
    150 hp saltwater mercury
    "god made man but Samuel colt made them equal"

Post Thanks / Like

I either run gas shock or sta-bil ethanol treatment. Take a look on line to things that have happened to gas in boats with ethanol. It is cheap insurance and still cheaper than the marina gas. The wal mart in port clinton had plenty of the stabil as I bought multiple a few weeks ago for the year.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that as long as you are using your boat regularly the gas on the road works fine. I have an 88 mercruiser 260 hp and fill it up every year in town before launching with no ill effects. Run it in an old Starcraft also.

Post Thanks / Like

i trailer my boats so i fill up at shell usually. i do use premium and it works just fine in my 81 350 mercruiser and my 93 305 mercruiser.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I understand it to be ethanol absorbs moisture from the air as it sets in the tank. In the marine environment you have a high moisture content in the air. So if you let the gas set in the tank for long periods of time you will get water in your tank and could cause serious engine problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fuel costs

Fuel prices at Turtle Creek are $4.42. Keeps going up. Times, 1 mile to the gallon. Get 89 octane fuel at a regular gas station if you are trailering. You jaw will drop when you go by the marine fuel docks.
    Last edited by gregnwtf; 05-09-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

most gas stations have 10 percent ethanol in there gas thats the way they purchase it, i use the stabil for marine engines ethanol treatment, to marinas i ask about it said the ethanol can build moisture and damages seals and rubber lines the marinas gas is just treated with the same stuff and charge you more to me better safe than sorry for the little extra money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedWilly View Post
    I either run gas shock or sta-bil ethanol treatment. Take a look on line to things that have happened to gas in boats with ethanol. It is cheap insurance and still cheaper than the marina gas. The wal mart in port clinton had plenty of the stabil as I bought multiple a few weeks ago for the year.
    Yes I brought this up. Ask any marine repair shop. They will tell you the repairs due to ethanol in gas. The Sta-bil ethanol treatment is cheap insurnace and still way cheaper than marine fuel. Those who do not use it are taking an unnecessary chance.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/marine_b..._problems.html
    Last edited by OneEyedWilly; 05-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.