walleye 4-29 walleye 4-29 walleye 4-29 walleye 4-29
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walleye 4-29

Post Thanks / Like

Default walleye 4-29

3 man limit trolling nw of niagra. 33 back on the low diver and 43 back on the high diver, 75 feet best lead for reef runners. best color was gold clown, 3 29's and 1 28 incher nice fish a few small ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Jiggy i thought you always had respect for the boats running big boards.from my observation i thought we were being respectful buy keeping our line heading north.

I understand being respectful to other boats but lets hope it dont happen agin.

Post Thanks / Like

what happened did I miss something, I had a great day on the lake I changed course all day long to avoid boats even when I had the right a way. If you are on a north heading and you have the right away you should maintain course, if not you should make an adjustment. Captains correct me if im wrong you have to maintain a course to have the right away you can't turn into some one. is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like

No i believe the stand on vessle has the right of way and he would be on your starboard side

Post Thanks / Like

The stand on vessel (approaching boat on your port side) is suppose to maintain course and speed so the give way vessel (approaching boat on your starboard side) can make a course change.

The stand on vessel should only alter course if they do not think the give way vessel is making any changes (after they blow the 5 horn blasts WTF are you doing signal). I believe the rule is stated in a way that even if the stand on vessel does not maintain a course the give way is still responsible to try and get out of the way all though I would be blaring a couple of warning horns myself at the stand on boat in that situation.

Can you tell I am still fresh off the classes

It is tough out there trolling though, it always seems the boats without auto pilots get into trouble when they get a fish on and everybody goes to the back to try and net it. Meanwhile the boat is going wherever it wants including turning right into your lane giving you nowhere to go if someone is running the line to the the other side of you. Then you have the auto pilot boats where hardly anybody pays attention to crossing boats.

I have seen a couple close calls already this year and I am sure we will have more. At least so far we have not had an emergency pull all the gear on one side incident, that really sucks when you have 8 setups out per side.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sry miso but the stand on vessel is the boat on the starboard side the give way is the boat on the port side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rollin-n-trollin View Post
    I am sry miso but the stand on vessel is the boat on the starboard side the give way is the boat on the port side.
    I though that is exactly what I said outside I said it from the standpoint of being in the boat. Boat coming at you on the port you have the right of way, the starboard they have the right away. I guess after rereading it I guess I could of thrown and "a" between approaching and boat to make it a little more clear.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an incident a few years ago - I was trolling, another boat passed me from the rear on a slightly different heading (He was trolling too) angled just a little toward my boat. He came up right next to me and I had to steer out of his path to keep our lines from tangling. He got all hot and was yelling and swearing. He finally threw a downrigger ball at me! Of course, there was no way he could throw it far enough, but it was still funny.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that in any kind of crossing situation, the boat on the right (starboard) has the right of way and is the stand on vessel. The stand on vessel is even somewhat obligated to maintain course. The boat on the left (port) side should alter course and pass behind the stand on vessel, hopefully far enough back to avoid cutting lines...If the stand on vessel has doubt about the give way vessel then the stand on vessel can bast those 5 quick WTF are you doing horn blasts.

In an overtake situation, the faster boat must alter course and go around the slower vessel. In a head on situation, both vessels turn right.

All of this of course gets thrown out the window if a collision situation can occur then you do whatever you need to not sink each other's boats...and especially you don't want to lose any full beers onto the bottom of lake erie.

Myself, I just try and avoid other boats as early as I can see someone else out there and we will eventually cross. I'm still kind of new at this.
    Last edited by wnyguy; 05-02-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by wnyguy View Post
    My understanding is that in any kind of crossing situation, the boat on the right (starboard) has the right of way and is the stand on vessel. The stand on vessel is even somewhat obligated to maintain course. The boat on the left (port) side should alter course and pass behind the stand on vessel, hopefully far enough back to avoid cutting lines...If the stand on vessel has doubt about the give way vessel then the stand on vessel can bast those 5 quick WTF are you doing horn blasts.

In an overtake situation, the faster boat must alter course and go around the slower vessel. In a head on situation, both vessels turn right.

All of this of course gets thrown out the window if a collision situation can occur then you do whatever you need to not sink each other's boats...and especially you don't want to lose any full beers onto the bottom of lake erie.

Myself, I just try and avoid other boats as early as I can see someone else out there and we will eventually cross. I'm still kind of new at this.
    This is all correct except. The speed of a boat does not matter when you are overtaken. The boat that is being overtaken has the right of way. The boat that is passing the other boat has to give way. 0