Help! which reefs to go? Help! which reefs to go? Help! which reefs to go? Help! which reefs to go?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Help! which reefs to go?

Are you guys using the reefs out from locust point or reefs out from catawba? I'm coming out from arizona (yes...trailering, family vacation from hell) next week to fish and I only have 4 days so Id take all the help I can get? Do I have any hope if I can only cast? boat trolls to fast even with bags!

Default Help

We been fishin locust reef cone reef turtle reef and round reef . Pick up some hair jigs and cast and jig those to ... No bait early mornin or later in the day on top of the reefs. All of these reefs are out of turtle creek. Hope this helps

Default Great info, thanks 205

Hey thank you 205, I ordered some worm harnesses online (purple n gold) figured I'd try them to.

Are there any breaks or reefs closer to shore for us shorter boats? Cant always travel a few miles out.
    Thanks for any help
    Tom

Wallin,
    The waters around "K" Can, plus by Davis Bessie cooling tower in about 12 fow has been producing well in the am and evening. No telling what will change after this front, or how muddy it is out there either.

Default close in

There are a couple reefs close but only a certain ones hold fish all year.
    The shelf breaks are one your gps. Generally 13ft then 17-19 ft and within 4 miles. Depends on the month you are fishing or if you fish all year. Right now almost any reef in front of Besse holds walleye early morning and evenings are best. Then work the deeper surrounding waters near the reefs or head off Crane Creek and work your way out following the shelf break lines on your gps.
    Early morning sit right on top of the reefs with each drift alittle different till you key in on a depth you catch fish. Bare jigs or with worms, bottom bouncers with worm. Calm days of late spring, a jig and minnow or live bait rig with minnow. Summertime casting weapons on the first 2 or 3 reefs in the complex is good. These are all within 4 miles of shore of the western end reef areas.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Thanks Capt.
    Were coming for that first may bite, this thursday thru sunday. At least its gonna warm up for us, so far south winds with maybe 1 day of a threatning north wind. Live by Lake Mich and a north wind any day means stay home for us. we can do 2 ftrs 3 we can handle but don't prefer too if you now what I mean.
    Thanks for the help
    We fish for Perch here in Lake Mich when the winds right

Tom
    Last edited by Wallin; 04-29-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Smile capt Greg

Hey capt. Greg thank you very much for the info about the reefs and the jigs, I've never fished Erie in may and I'm really looking forward to it this year.
    Without giving any secrets away can somebody tell me what a live bait rig is? Do you mean a worm harness with a spinner or string up a live shiner and drop it to the bottom ? Sorry for the ignorance I'm really new to this kinda fishing?
    Last edited by csuchyaz; 04-29-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added text

Default live bait

Quote Originally Posted by csuchyaz View Post
    Hey capt. Greg thank you very much for the info about the reefs and the jigs, I've never fished Erie in may and I'm really looking forward to it this year.
    Without giving any secrets away can somebody tell me what a live bait rig is? Do you mean a worm harness w ith a spinner or string up a live shiner and drop it to the bottom ? Sorry for the ignorance I'm really new to this kinda fishing?
    Lindy rigs but only if its calm. Small worm harness with light weight bottom bouncers for slow drift. Bare jigs will still be working this week yet since this cool air is hanging around.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by csuchyaz View Post
    Are you guys using the reefs out from locust point or reefs out from catawba? I'm coming out from arizona (yes...trailering, family vacation from hell) next week to fish and I only have 4 days so Id take all the help I can get? Do I have any hope if I can only cast? boat trolls to fast even with bags!
    sounds like you need to go to bigger bags. that should take care of your speed problem for trolling. sometimes if the jig bite isnt working and your changing reefs its a good idea to try trolling. but from what i,ve been reading you need to be down to 1 to 1.5. i have a 21 ft cobia with a vortec 350 and have no problem getting down that slow with the bags i use. good luck and good fishing.
    sherman