Help! which reefs to go? Help! which reefs to go? Help! which reefs to go? Help! which reefs to go?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great info

Thanks again guys, so when it starts to warm up and the fish come up off the reefs is that when you start casting the harnesses? I'm hoping it'll warm up a little so we can hit Put in bay but not if the fishing is gonna change!! And I actually tried 2 bags it slowed to 1.5 and that was going against the waves, so after that I kinda just gave up I would ave tried a little trolling motor but have an after market swim platform so I didn't think it would support the weight!

Post Thanks / Like

Default early May

This week is still some jigging with the cool water. Bottom bouncers with a small harness and worms should do enough to entice the bite. Casting the harness on the swing should start in a couple weeks but its based on water temp and how much wind I can stand casting in. When its rough the walleye get active and feed during this time of year. Once the water is true at 60 plus degree range, its all worm harnesses. The fish come up some and some days they are all over the screen. The might be high in the morning then go down as the sun rises. Watch your fish finder, it tells the story.On very calm warm days you might catch them a few feet down from the surface. I have caught them on a 5 to 8 count in late May. Water temp over the weekend is still hovering around 50. Warm air and rain this week should bring temps up some.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Way to windy

So I came out you guys and I could barely fish it was so rough, however I liked your lake so much I left my oat there and I'm coming back again and again, holy crap lake Erie is awesome. But here's my problem, I tried the jigs and I tried the harnesses, didn't get any on the jigs but I got two really nice fish on purple harnesses by the Niagra reef. However I tried to troll and I couldn't get my boat below 1.5 still even with 2 bags, even on lake Erie. Is there anything i can troll for walleye at that speed, I had been told try large crank baits like hot n tots so i tried silver hot n tots (the guys at the wharf in port clinton are awesome by the way) but that didn't seem to do much, what am I missing? I hope I'm not completely retarded. Any help would be great, I'm coming back for memorial day, I may just try a charter and see how you pro's do it cause I just ain't getting something. Help!
    Last edited by csuchyaz; 05-15-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Wording

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by csuchyaz View Post
    I got two really nice fish on purple harnesses by the Niagra reef. However I tried to troll and I couldn't get my boat below 1.5 still even with 2 bags, even on lake Erie. Is there anything i can troll for walleye at that speed, Help!
    Jet's and spoons, jet's and wormburners are working.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by csuchyaz View Post
    So I came out you guys and I could barely fish it was so rough, however I liked your lake so much I left my oat there and I'm coming back again and again, holy crap lake Erie is awesome. But here's my problem, I tried the jigs and I tried the harnesses, didn't get any on the jigs but I got two really nice fish on purple harnesses by the Niagra reef. However I tried to troll and I couldn't get my boat below 1.5 still even with 2 bags, even on lake Erie. Is there anything i can troll for walleye at that speed, I had been told try large crank baits like hot n tots so i tried silver hot n tots (the guys at the wharf in port clinton are awesome by the way) but that didn't seem to do much, what am I missing? I hope I'm not completely retarded. Any help would be great, I'm coming back for memorial day, I may just try a charter and see how you pro's do it cause I just ain't getting something. Help!
    If you can get to 1.5 you should be able to catch fish, this past week end 1.6 to 1.8 caught fish on my boat with the worm harness set up, you can even mix a spoon or 2 in with them and they should also catch fish. If the forecast holds you should be able to troll in any direction as they are calling for 10 mph or less. But as always that can change quickly. The Niagra Reef area was holding fish last weekend also! Caught 29 in that area last weekend and lost several.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-15-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip