MMSI #'s and tracking MMSI #'s and tracking MMSI #'s and tracking MMSI #'s and tracking
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MMSI #'s and tracking

I know we all have agreed on the channel 71 thing, but for those of us with DSC radios, we could take it a step further. My chartplotter, as I'm sure most others are as well, is connected to my VHF radio through the NMEA 0183 network. This will allow tracking of people on your radios "buddy list" if you know their MMSI # and their radio is set up to automatically answer position polling calls. This could be a huge advantage to walleye.com members in my opinion. It would be possible to see each members boat on your plotter screen. We would not have to give coordinates to were the fish are active over the radio as we would already know each others position. A simple "how you doing in your spot" would work and not give away great locations to people who are just listening to walleye.com's agreed radio channel. I would be glad to give anyone my MMSI #, though I will only give it out through a private message. What are all your opinions on this?
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s

Post Thanks / Like

I will give mine up to anyone that gives me one that works. This is a great idea..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skipper9! I will PM you with my MMSI # in the morning when I get to my boat. I used to have it in my wallet but just got a new wallet and can't remember it offhand.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Radio days

Island Runner, dsc is a great tool but if #71 is truly for sharing info why the privacy, when i used to guide every marina had their private channels,Erie Dearie Team, Lakefront, Fisherman's Warf, Herl's Harbor ect, we even took it a step further by installing scramblers that garbled the privates....just a thought'' the plotter sounds cool though.....Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Privacy

I'm not against sharing info openly to the public but I'm sure some are. It gives us the option. Plus its something I've always wanted to do, but don't have any friends on the water to track yet. I just think its a useful tool and I need all the help I can get!

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a great reason for me to get a new radio. I never bothered before because I didn't have anyone to use it with and the coast guard is not ready for it in our area.

Post Thanks / Like

I just might have to buy a new vhf radio now. Never hurts to have two of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eriepro View Post
    Island Runner, dsc is a great tool but if #71 is truly for sharing info why the privacy, when i used to guide every marina had their private channels,Erie Dearie Team, Lakefront, Fisherman's Warf, Herl's Harbor ect, we even took it a step further by installing scramblers that garbled the privates....just a thought'' the plotter sounds cool though.....Ed
    What I am saying is I don't want it one way... Track me but not let me track them. Otherwise I am willing to share with anyone. I have had this technology for a couple years now. It is very cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Island Runner View Post
    I know we all have agreed on the channel 71 thing, but for those of us with DSC radios, we could take it a step further. My chartplotter, as I'm sure most others are as well, is connected to my VHF radio through the NMEA 0183 network. This will allow tracking of people on your radios "buddy list" if you know their MMSI # and their radio is set up to automatically answer position polling calls. This could be a huge advantage to walleye.com members in my opinion. It would be possible to see each members boat on your plotter screen. We would not have to give coordinates to were the fish are active over the radio as we would already know each others position. A simple "how you doing in your spot" would work and not give away great locations to people who are just listening to walleye.com's agreed radio channel. I would be glad to give anyone my MMSI #, though I will only give it out through a private message. What are all your opinions on this?
    I think it's an awesome idea. I'd need the expetise of y'all to tell me the ins and outs of buying the right radio and proper setup.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

chiefho70 I think its a great reason for me to get a new radio. I never bothered before because I didn't have anyone to use it with and the coast guard is not ready for it in our area.
    http://www.uscg.mil/acquisition/resc...nationwide.jpg

According to this USCG website, the Rescue 21 System is operational in all U.S. water of Lake Erie.