Am I doing something wrong? Am I doing something wrong? Am I doing something wrong? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I doing something wrong?

I am new to jig fishing on LE. I went out with some experienced friends a few weeks ago and picked up a couple with them. Dad and I went out last Friday to turtle reef area. We got out a little late, since it was the first trip of the season for my boat. I caught 1 sheephead, and had 1 walleye snagged under the jaw.

We went out again today. We made it out by 6:30am, and went out to the pack near turtle reef again. I caught 2 sheephead and that was it. We did feel some hits, but nothing else on the lines. We were using 3/4 oz jigs with stiner hooks. Actually added a little weight with the wind today so we could maintain contact with the bottom. Tried purple, green, and orange. Nothing seemed to work.

Any advice would be helpful. I basically pickup the jig about 6-8 inches and let it down so it is "hopping" the bottom with the drift of the boat.

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Default jigging

Im new to jigging and I had two trips out. The first trip I would cast out an average of 10 feet and jigged up and down, that day only caught one fish. The next time I went out I tried a different technique, Casting out maybe 20 yards and had a fast hop and real retrieve. I would cast out jig, jig, reel, stop let it fall jig, jig, reel, stop, let it fall. That day using this technique i caught 7 fish and my buddy caught 8 so I'm more hooked on the cast and retrieve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default technique

retrieve technique changes almost daily is what i tell my clients, i have a cpl verticle jig, cpl slow hop and a cpl snap jig. See what fish want. Secondly best advice i could give is if you feel anything set the hook! I cant say it enough, if you swing and its a rock no big deal. If you neve swing its hard to catch them this time of year.
    Captain dave
    fastactioncharters.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the advice. I am still learning and it can be very frustrating when you see others with fish and you can't seem to connect. I will keep working at it and change up the retrieve.