Friday the 13th Friday the 13th Friday the 13th Friday the 13th
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday the 13th

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday the 13th

Well I am not a superstious man but any more days like Friday and I will be. Went out for the jig bite first. We dragged the bottom getting out of the Toussaint River into the lake. Ran over to K-can but no luck went to cone had several on but could not keep them buttoned up. Decided to troll some so went to D-can and set up Ran one DDHJ 12 purple perch back 60 and one RR 800 Green Flash (Bare Naked) back 50. Ran 2 crawler harness with Doc Shelton blades custom painted in Rainbow on jet 40's back 50, all off of inline boards. Managed to get 2 eyes trolling, one was a FO 31 inch female that looked like a male and a 27 inch male, both on the harnesses. Speed was 1.5 to 1.8 gps speed. The worm bite is probably on!

Also got a new $80.00 Cabela's rod broken at the tip, I managed to run over my own line causing me to lose a 40 jet diver and a harness right at the boat but I didn't lose any line thank goodness, the guy who broke the rod due to inattention when he ran the tip into the bottom of a rod holder mounted on my radar arch also tried to lift three large walleyes into the boat and lost all three he wouldn't wait on the net or clear the corner so I could get close enough to use the net, they all were on harnesses also, he has made his last trip with me because he was indifferent about the rod the gas and the lost fish in fact he acted like I owed it to him to take him fishing. Then I again Dragged bottom hard on the way back into the river. It was just one of those days.

I didn't post until today because I was still fuming over Friday!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch, that is not a good day. Especially when it comes to someone that you extend the privilege of fishing with you and you get that in return. No good deed goes unpunished !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday 13th

I know exactly what you mean. I was headed to my boat Friday evening, to finally get out and fish saturday/sunday, when I got a call from a buddy who was launching his, new to him, 27' Sportcraft. He asked when will you get to the marina? I said 2.5 hrs as I live 150 miles from my boat and had just left. He said I need your help, my boat died and the wind blew me up against a seawall and now I'm tied up to the seawall and I have a thru-hull that is leaking water. At that point I already knew my fishing for the weekend was shot!
    I hate to talk bad about a buddy, but WOW! This boat was is no way ready to be launched and ,to be honest, I can not believe the marina allowed it to be launched!
    Upon arriving at my marina, I found him up against a seawall ankle deep in water trying to get his boat started. I said turn on your bilge pump. He said I did, but when I turn on the bilge pump, my horn blows! And this was just the beginning. Luckily I have spools of primary wire on my boat and two extra 2000gph bilge pumps and switches as I had just upgraded my pumps to 4000gph the weekend before. I rigged one up to pump him out and installed the other once it was pumped out. He did not even have a working bilge pump in his boat! I then was able to stop the leaking thru-hull with a homemade gasket and lots of 3M 5200.
    Once the threat of sinking was gone it was time to get running. It was pretty obvious he had water in his gas and spinning off the water separator confirmed it. Of course I had a extra one on my boat and after hooking up a small pump and pumping the water and bad gas from the bottom of his tank, and a new filter in the carburator, which I also had a spare of, it was able to make its way to his dock. And the funny thing is, his dock is the closest dock at the marina to the crane! Its less than 50 feet away and he didn't make it!
    Anyway, after we got it tied off, I said I need to run to my boat and put my food in the fridge etc. He road with me and when we got to my boat he drank 6 of my beers! Like he was dying of thirst. He then sees I have an extra shore power cord and asks if he can have it!!! I said no, thats for when I travel to other marinas and I need it. I instead let him borrow the 2 end connectors that make it possible to use a regular extension cord. I didn't need them anyway I guess.
    Saturday, I gave him 2 brand new battery cables that I had as his burnt somehow. After rewiring half of his boat Saturday, I'd be damned if I wired the whole boat, I said I had to get going and he would need to finish the rest. He had the nerve to ask if we could take my boat out to fish! I said I had things to do and left, without a thank you or a how much do I owe you for the 2 bilge pumps, 2 float switches, 2 power adapters, a water/fuel separator, carburator filter, 2 battery cables, 3 spools of wire, 5 packs of terminal and but connectors, and 3 packs of different sized heat shrink tubing, and 1.5 days of labor!!!
    Some peoples mentality I will never figure out!!!!!!
    Last edited by Island Runner; 04-18-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Guy's.......Friends like that, you don’t need enemies

Post Thanks / Like

Hey you guys want to be buddies? Where do you guys dock at? I could use some help figuring some stuff out. LOL...WOW...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

A little humorous to read about. But I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time.

The nerve of some people.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL: Island Runner, your post doesn't change anything that has happened to me on my end but it does make me feel better knowing that I am not the only one who has had a jerk for a friend! I eliminated my friendly fishing jerk from my list of fishing friends! He is done on my boat I told him point blank!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Guys...those kind of folks aren't friends. I call them sponges! You both have more patience then I do. I am always the first to help someone but treat me like that once and we are DONE.

Wakina as you know April 1st was the first time I had ever launched at Deep Creek. When we came out of the Toussaint river there it was so shallow I was concerned about getting back in if the wind picked up. I was showing less than 3 F.O.W. so what happens if it's a north wind blowing 3 to 4's?

Post Thanks / Like

Wakina, I still know what you mean and how you feel. If you wanna read about a really bad day, read my post the Eastern Lake Erie fishing reports section under a thread named "lets talk about the bad days" or something like that.

Funny thing about this "buddy" is he used to fish on my boat quite a bit. But he is one of those guys who always wants to go fishing but never has the money to help on fuel. After too many free rides, I told him he had to pay. I can remember at least 4 time last year when I told him he must pay and when we would get back from a day fishing and pulled into the fuel dock, he would be broke. I finally had enough and said no more free rides and now its pay up front a flat $50. He thought that was ridiculous and quit asking to fish with me. Hell, I can hardly turn my engines on for $50 in fuel. A day of fishing is a minimum of $200 in fuel. I was eating the rest of the cost! He went a bought a boat instead. He called me knowing that I am up there every weekend and he knows no one else. I couldn't let a boat sink.

I believe what goes around, comes around. Boating fishing and cheap mix like oil in water. He'll learn he has to pay to play and pay alot more when its your own boat! No more free rides/parts/service from Island Runner!
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s

Post Thanks / Like

At 50 bucks a day he was getting a helluva deal. He had it made and will soon realize that. Sounds like he already has.