wind to wave ratio? wind to wave ratio? wind to wave ratio? wind to wave ratio?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wind to wave ratio?

I don't expect that this is an exact science but was wondering if anyone has any idea as to what size of waves I could expect at with different wind speeds. Ie: could I fish the reefs in my 18' boat with a 20MPH south wind? I know the direction makes a huge difference as well. as I travel 4 hours I hate guessing as to whether or not I should make the trip. those of you with years of experience maybe able to give me some pointers!

thank you gentlemen.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

There is no easy answer to your question but I will try to give you some of the things I have learned since I started fishing Erie in an brand new that year 1955 16 ft Thompson.

You have already made a true statement in that the wind direction has a lot to do with the waves generated. There are several factors that go into that and of course the first is the effort or speed of the wind, the second is the fetch or distance is has to use that effort to create waves. On Erie the most fetch is generally out of the Northeast and thus the largest waves but there is another factor often over looked but important this time of the year and that is the temperature of the air doing the work. The colder the air the denser it is and the more push it will exert at the same speed as warmer less dense air. You mentioned a 20 mile south wind. First thing that comes to mind is a high pressure area pushing very warm air north. The would not cause me a lot of concern within 5 miles of shore however the ability to control your boats drift speed in that kind of wind might be.

Generally speaking any wind direction with a speed of under 15 mph in temps of 65 to 70 will give you not more than 1 to 3 foot waves but heres another kicker, when you see that forecast of 1 to 3 , 2 to 4, or 3 to 5, I always add the two numbers together and that is the size of the so called rogue wave you could and probably will encounter.

An 18 ft boat will handle a lot of rough water what usually gets a boat into trouble is speed, either too much of it causing water over the bow or too little when the power is needed to maintian steerage

As I mentioned earlier wave size and wind speed affect the quality of the fishing long before the ability to get the boat out there and back.

I hope this has helped a little. but nothing will replace your own experience and the mental notes you'll make to yourself on some days.

Post Thanks / Like

I run an 18fter. If they post 20mph winds I'm not going to waste the $$ to get beat up. Yes you can fish in that with the wind from most any direction. But it's going to be rough, and the longer it blows. The rougher it is going to get. Most tourney's send the guys out in 20 mph as it usually is like 3 to 4's and building up to 6 after a few hours. Also depending on who is giving wave hgts, they typically measure the wave hgt from water median hgt as a base not the trough/bottom of the wave. Most boaters measure the waves as top to bottom of the waves.
    Also if there is a 20+ mph from the S, the air is very warm (70s' let's say)while the water is cold ( 40+) in the spring of the year. The warm air skips over the cold surface water and goes upward to where you can be out a few miles and there will not be but a breeze. Happens most every year depending. Fishing around the islands can really help as you only have short open area's and can usually find calmer water and fish with one side or the other to help block the wind. Most folks hate an east wind the most.