can i drift in the current fast enough? can i drift in the current fast enough? can i drift in the current fast enough? can i drift in the current fast enough?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default can i drift in the current fast enough?

i dont have a troll motor. just a big ole inboard. therefore i havent trolled with it. i was wondering if i caught a good current would i be able to drift fast enough to simulate having a troll motor and possibly get same results. i think the slowest i can get the engine going is about 2.5 just got the thing last year. old boat. old motor. old depthfinder. boat needs a complete makeover but in the meantime id still like to catch some fish. did really good jigging first trip out. maybe beginners luck but all colors were working. around 15fow. last saturday not so good. trolling seems like it always works if done rite so im hoping for some more advice. thanks guys. be patient with me. this is all BRAND new to me.ive never walleye fished in my life. i didnt even know what a walleye looked like until a about 2 months ago. always enjoyed fishing but havent been to lake erie in over 20 years. and i was just a child then. wasnt out there to learn anything, just catch perch. so im buying little things as i go for the walleye now.

Post Thanks / Like

For around 200 bucks u could get a set of trolling bags to slow your boat down enough with your big motor depending on the size of your boat will determine the size of bags u need i don't know if u could druft fast enough or not but I have heard good results from the trolling bags to controll your speed I have 2 45" bags for my 272 sportcraft skipper9 and wakina and a few others on here also helped me with the selection of my bags I haven't used them yet but I'm sure they will work great and alot cheaper than a kicker. Oh and my motor is a 454
    Last edited by bowguy84; 04-13-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bags work great, troll with them all the time to get the speed. Just need
    to be sure they are out of the way for landing fish. Pretty inexpensive also compared to other options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowguy84 View Post
    For around 200 bucks u could get a set of trolling bags to slow your boat down enough with your big motor depending on the size of your boat will determine the size of bags u need i don't know if u could druft fast enough or not but I have heard good results from the trolling bags to controll your speed I have 4 45" bags for my 272 sportcraft skipper9 and wakina and a few others on here also helped me with the selection of my bags I haven't used them yet but I'm sure they will work great and alot cheaper than a kicker. Oh and my motor is a 454
    If you pm me or skipper we can get you bags to slow you down for under $100. Skipper uses these bags, he will attest there first class. Good luck hope you get your boat dialed in.

Post Thanks / Like

Like mentioned, trolling bags do work. But you could also drift with the wind. Use bouncers/harnesses and cast "the weapon" while drifting. Lots of charters do exactly that and never troll. The weapon is about a 16in harness with a egg sinker slipped on at the top off the harness. You just tye a small bead into the top loop of the harness allowing enough room/size of loop for the sinker. The bead keeps the sinker from sliding down the harness. Also trolling spoons will start firing up soon. And those you troll from 2 to 3 mph depending on the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift troll

We have tried to drift troll, needless to say it don't work the same as motor trollin because you don't get a constant pull to keep your cranks down where they need to be . When the wave pushes you you get a fast pull then when you are in the trough of the wave you lose your pull and the crank rises back up. But when you get a good 2-4 waves day these guys are right drop a worm harness with a bottom bouncer and let the boat do all the work. Now when that bottom bouncer gets the inconsistent pulls of the waves and the boat that quick change of direction drives them walleye crazy and when your rod bends clear over the boat it's not a snag you got yourself a walleye!! Good luck hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I run 2 45" bags off the Sides of my 27 sportcraft gets me down to 1.3 to 1.5 works out very well. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

the weapon? is that the get-up with the single hook with beads and a spinner? so a nightcrawler harness with a egg sinker around the loop? will give it a try. thanks for all your help. i figure....2......3 years i should be able to stop asking questions lol thanks fellas

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to learn is ask questions and that's wat this site is for other than bragging board lol. Just don't forget everyone was there once and the guys on here fish most the week ends and some even make a living doin it so they kno wat they are talkin about and as long as they are willing to answer your questions pick their brains and learn as much as you can. It will make your time on the water that much better. Happy fishing

Post Thanks / Like

We used to throw 5 gallon buckets 2 on each side...looks redneck as hell but got us down in the 1.7-1.8mph with the big motor.cheap way out?but bags are the way to go....