ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default bass tournaments

That doesn't make any sense, what about bass tournaments? They may have there limit of fish but continue fishing and culling fish, so that they end up with the biggest 5 fish for the weigh in. I know that they release those fish after the weigh in but that shouldn't matter, because they still leave the lake with those fish. I agree with lowe life as long as you don't leave the lake with more than your limit whether it be 4 in Ohio or 6 in Michigan.
    Last edited by Windyeyes; 04-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Exclamation Dnr

I understand the need to have the ODNR. but with all these little BS regulations on fish, like leaving the skin on them and No more boat limits.Is getting a bit out of control...I never leave the skin on them and will continue to get our Boat limit.. I pay for both Ohio and Michigan tags, i don't take more then my legal limit, And the money i spend helps our local economy, Gas,bait, gear, Ect...When's the BS gonna stop?? their making rules just to give more tickets to the ppl who follow the fish limits and help the economy..Stick to finding the ppl who are using trebel hooks in waters where their illegal, and the guys fishing till their coolers are full..What's next??? every fish you catch you have to take a pic of it and send it to the DNR website??? If they need more money the they should have a car wash like the boyscouts do...Leave the good ppl who live on and love the lake alone..
    LOWE LIFE

I have talked directly to the ODNR Officer with the same issue about steelhead fishing. Once I have my 2 steelhead on the stringer can I continue to catch and release. He said Yes you can continue to fish. as catch and release, you cannot have over your limit in possession.

Unhappy What's next, Big Brother?

If 3 of us are out trolling with 6 lines and one of us limits out, do we have to pull in 2 of the lines while the guy with the limit sits on his hands for the rest of the trip? In Missouri while trout fishing in a boat, each man must have his own creel or stringer, no sharing. We only got a warning since we were out of state. Note: Dr. Ed will be dragging lines near "D" can again this Friday. Ch.71 or 68.
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 04-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    If 3 of us are out trolling with 6 lines and one of us limits out, do we have to pull in 2 of the lines while the guy with the limit sits on his hands for the rest of the trip? In Missouri while trout fishing in a boat, each man must have his own creel or stringer, no sharing. We only got a warning since we were out of state. Note: Dr. Ed will be dragging lines near "D" can again this Friday. Ch.71 or 68.
    Under the current conditions I don't believe that you have to pull your lines, but it would be illegal for you to land another walleye and then put it in the cooler for your friends who have'nt limited yet. Be best if you left those fishermen land all the fish and box them until they have there limits caught and in their possession. Then all 3 of you can fun fish the rest of the day! That is how I see the law they are enforcing.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I agree with Lowe Life. I think all these regulations are BS. The ODNR is getting to be like big brother looking over our shoulder.

Friends were up couple weeks ago and were stopped by dnr and they had just got their limit as he pulled up. At that point they counted the fish and my friends ask how the law read as they had reached their limit. The officer told them they were welcome to continue pleasure fishing but the livewell lid was not to be opened and no culling of any kind would be permitted. This would seem to make sense, but each warden may have a different perspective..

The court system may take an entirely different view of the law and citation than the ODNR Officer, especially if you would be helping a child land their fish and garner their limit!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Laws

I guess it's up to each ODNR officer to make a judgement call.. I'm NOT a pocher,I do NOT keep illegal gotten fish.. But I do like to get the boat limit, I'm not out spending money to not put fish in the freezer... I know the DNR reads these posts and they should.. But they need to know who's fishing by the rules and who's not.. I spend thousands of dollars every year to enjoy our Great lake..I'm not the guy who fishes the Lake 5-10 times a year.I'm out on the lake 3-4 times a week all Spring Summer and Fall weather it's fishing or recrational.. And in the Winter I'm out on my sled.. I love the Lake, born and raised on it. And I'm all for the DNR doing their job to stop ppl who are doing something wrong.. But I do believe they need to look at the Big picture.. We who take "boat limits" are not criminals.. We are just ppl who like to fish and enjoy feeding the family a one of a kind meal..I'm not trying to cross the ODNR... It's their job and I respect that. I've spent 33 years on the lake.. And when I'm long gone, my ashes will be in this great lake we call Erie..
    LOWE LIFE

I completely agree about fishing till there is a boat limit. I also know that there have been a few folks "warned". I've also asked questions of MI DNR about what if's. Depending on who your asking, you different replys. Iv'e met some great ODNR and Mi DNR officers, actually most. But I have had a couple for example, I asked one "may I ask you some questions about the regulations?" His reply was " I'm not here to answer your questions, I'm here to write tickets."
    I think this is where you would run into a problem. If while trolling, say 2 guys, you get 7 fish in the box. Then you get a triple on. One of you has gotten their limit. Both of you reel in fish out of the triple, or double. If an officer was watching. And the bigger of the 2 fish brought in was thrown in the box by the angler who the officer saw already put his 4 in the box. That's where the problem lies. I would like the rules to read a "boat limit". As Charters and the rest of us could enjoy our trips out there alot more instead of trying to keep track of who has how many vs how many fish total. When your dealing with multiple lines going off ( when the bite is hot and it's the most fun) it is pretty hard to keep total how many fish you reeled in and made it into the box as I believe we work as a team in most every boat. Sometimes I'm the net guy, sometimes I reel em in.