ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sleets i asked my question as not to find a way around the law....but so i know that i am in compliance with the law. The grey area and lack of clearly explaining and leaving it up to each DNR office to interpret is what will possibly make some of us who are trying to follow the laws be breaking them

Post Thanks / Like

Default Odnr too much power!!!

I think I remember why I carry my flair Gun !!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the problem as I understand it! A couple of weeks ago a young captain or first mate, I am unsure which, posted on one of the other walleye fishing sites that their headboat had limited out and that people were catching their limit and then kept on fishing and gave their extra fish to the other fishermen that were not as lucky. Either someone turned them in or more likely the ODNR who monitors these sites, read the post. In any event in the next week or so the ODNR placed undercover officers on those headboats posing as fishermen and that is how we got from point A to point B.

So the person who posted that on the other site actually told on himself and created this whole uproar. The ODNR had to act on it to remain creditable. As an example: Who in their right mind would post in an open forum on the internet that they were currently breaking the law and had in the past had broken the law and that they were going to continue to break the law and in so doing they recieved unwanted attention from law enforcement then bitched about it. Those facts change the whole complexion of this ordeal so with that said I cannot feel sorry for them!

To the best of my knowlege there has never been a boat limit in Ohio, but there has been for several years a limit on how many an individual can catch and keep in his possession on a daily basis. Many years ago there was no limit on walleyes, then the state placed a limit of 10 fish per day per fisherman followed by the 6 fish per person a day, and of course the 4 per day during the spawn, but there was never a boat limit that consisted of the collective limits of the total number of people on board the boat no matter which of the people caught the fish. Meaning that Angler A could not catch and keep any more than his daily limit and then start to fill the other Anglers B, C or D's remaining limit with his extra fish until the so called boat limit was reached.
    Last edited by wakina; 04-11-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default ???

Sounds like we need to find that Kid and kick his ass...LOL...But one thing we need to remember is that's a boat that take's ALOT of fish in one trip out on the lake ... Myself we try to get 8 or 12 fish... It just makes it worth while to spend the money to go out... Gas is at $4.29 per gallon my boat holds 50 gallons... Were not taking over the limit, or keeping fish that are snagged..My boat has taken 78 Walleye this year... That's .00001% of the millions of fish in the lake.. I think the ODNR should look at those ppl who are taking 100+ fish per outing..Not us Lil guys who are just trying to put some fish in the freezer and make some sence of the outrages fuel prices..If this keeps up it will be cheeper to go to the fish market and just buy them..Which would mean no Money for the local economy...We are the ppl that outher ppl depend on for their livelyhoods...I'm done with this topic and gonna go get some fish... 4 per person..
    LOWE LIFE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOWE LIFE View Post
    Sounds like we need to find that Kid and kick his ass...LOL...But one thing we need to remember is that's a boat that take's ALOT of fish in one trip out on the lake ... Myself we try to get 8 or 12 fish... It just makes it worth while to spend the money to go out... Gas is at $4.29 per gallon my boat holds 50 gallons... Were not taking over the limit, or keeping fish that are snagged..My boat has taken 78 Walleye this year... That's .00001% of the millions of fish in the lake.. I think the ODNR should look at those ppl who are taking 100+ fish per outing..Not us Lil guys who are just trying to put some fish in the freezer and make some sence of the outrages fuel prices..If this keeps up it will be cheeper to go to the fish market and just buy them..Which would mean no Money for the local economy...We are the ppl that outher ppl depend on for their livelyhoods...I'm done with this topic and gonna go get some fish... 4 per person..
    LOWE LIFE
    I agree with what you are saying and I think this whole thing has gotten blown out of proportion and gotten side tracked to include the average boat owner walleye fisherman, even though we fall under the same laws as the headboat that got busted. I have heard of no reliable source that has stated they are targeting or have targeted recreational boats.

I don't think you or anyone else would post on this site or any other for that matter if they are fishing a boat limit or individual limit. There was probable cause for them to go undercover and bust those people for an advertised violation of the law, thumbing their nose so to speak at the ODNR.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOWE LIFE View Post
    LOWE LIFE
    gettin some fish sounds good. i will be up at 4a.m. and heading north for the reef complex. will be sure to post results.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Odnr

I'm going fishig tommrow... Gonna get our limit.4 per person...What ever it takes.. If I fish for the delicious Sheephead then that's what I will do..I'm glad the ODNR checks into these things..It's their job..But don't put the blame on the guys who fish the lake and do things right...I'm really glad to see you guys support me right or wrong..that means alot.. gonna get me some fish and enjoy the lake we call ERIE...Born on Raised on this great Lake.. Theirs nothing like it anywhere.And I truely love it..It's my backyard and will be on it till the day i die.. Good luck to all and be safe..
    LOWE LIFE

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be up to the officer and how many citations he needs to get to look good for the month. Thats all it is. I'm good friends with a state highway patrol commander and he said DNR officers are required to write a number of citations. Some are going to be pricks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbiser View Post
    It's going to be up to the officer and how many citations he needs to get to look good for the month. Thats all it is. I'm good friends with a state highway patrol commander and he said DNR officers are required to write a number of citations. Some are going to be pricks
    You are basing your statement on third party information! That's crazy. Come on now a friends tells you this about another department he does not work in. Quotas and all that crap are the biggest misconception about police etc. My Dad retired from police work about 10 years ago after working 36 years in two departments. Most of his friends are police and they are cops from all over the state. None I know of ever said they had quotas. Some guys write more than others but they never say go write this many. BS. If you want to say they law is wrong whatever but don't say it is because of a quota. If they wanted an easy ticket to fill a quota they would go down to the local pier, walk down and dink a few guys for some BS. Here these guys went out on a boat in the middle of the lake for 8 hours and observed these guys on party boats, whatever. Then waited til the dock to cite these guys. Far from an easy ticket to fill their so called "quota".
    Last edited by OneEyedWilly; 04-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just telling the forum what was told to me. I dont know you but i have been checked many times before i even hit the ramp. I'm saying its not a bad thing because i believe in saftey first. But, they look for silly stuff sometimes. My brother overheard one of the officers say he'll get his in today if he stays long enough. Just saying.....