Success with storms Success with storms Success with storms Success with storms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Success with storms

I was 2 miles north of "D" can yesterday morning pulling walleye when one of those nasty T-storms blew across the lake. We pulled lines and ran behind Green Island for safety. 2 1/2 hours later we returned to "D" running 800 series Reef Runners 57' behind Walleye side planers at 1.9 mph. We pulled 2 eyes within 100 yards of the can. Hot Fire Tiger was the best. Eriedescent, Perch and Purple Demon also worked. I'll be out again Friday. If you need any help, give me a call on Ch. 68 or 71.

Default Walleye side planer?

You've mentioned Walleye side planers before. So many brands.....where do you get them? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    I was 2 miles north of "D" can yesterday morning pulling walleye when one of those nasty T-storms blew across the lake. We pulled lines and ran behind Green Island for safety. 2 1/2 hours later we returned to "D" running 800 series Reef Runners 57' behind Walleye side planers at 1.9 mph. We pulled 2 eyes within 100 yards of the can. Hot Fire Tiger was the best. Eriedescent, Perch and Purple Demon also worked. I'll be out again Friday. If you need any help, give me a call on Ch. 68 or 71.
    How many walleye did you Finnish with?

Default Success with storms

The magic number with all the wind and rain was 7, two 9 pounders. The Walleye side planer boards are made by the Church Tackle Co up north and are now labeled TX22-Specials. They are a bright red orange and can be found at Dick's for $29.99. These new ones are designed to run either port or starboard depending on how you construct them and that is simple. Oh, I forgot to mention one of the lures working was Pink Panties but then again that is an unmentionable.
    Someone asked me how I determine the distance back the 800's should be run and that's easy. Listen to the radio and if you don't like the numbers you hear, like 20 or 30, pick your favorite or pick a number between 31 and 100 out of a hat and run with that. With the right direction and speed over the right location something should work. Listen and learn. See you on the lake. It may be SATURDAY instead of Friday if the lake doesn't settle down.
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 04-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    Someone asked me how I determine the distance back the 800's should be run and that's easy. Listen to the radio and if you don't like the numbers you hear, like 20 or 30, pick your favorite or pick a number between 31 and 100 out of a hat and run with that. With the right direction and speed over the right location something should work.
    Wow that's a broad range...31 to 100 gives you about 20 feet of depth variance. I like to think there's a little more of a science to how far back the bait is run.

Yeah, like one bait about 5 foot off bottom, one bait within the top 10 f.o.w. then split the difference with the other lines so you have the water column covered. Let the fish tell you where they want it. As long as you know the lineout to depth of lure chart it's pretty easy. I have mine in an excel file that I printed out, tape inside each lure's respective boxes so it shows thru the lid.

Default What pound test line is the norm for most trolling rr or dts's

Are most guys using 10 lb mono? Or something else like 14 lb fireline ect. For trolling. I am not sure what to use and it makes it hard to compare notes unless the line being used is similar. ?is there a general consensus out there on kind of line used (mono or fireline) and pound test? I need to spool up some line but want to put on what everyone else is using so i can share info. Thanks appreciate any info.

Quote Originally Posted by CATCHNRELEASE View Post
    Are most guys using 10 lb mono? Or something else like 14 lb fireline ect. For trolling. I am not sure what to use and it makes it hard to compare notes unless the line being used is similar. ?is there a general consensus out there on kind of line used (mono or fireline) and pound test? I need to spool up some line but want to put on what everyone else is using so i can share info. Thanks appreciate any info.
    That really tough, just about everyone uses what they like and it's all over the board. Braid, mono, fireline and in all different dia.'s. Along with do they have the spools full, what brand reels. Are they trolling with, against, cross the currents as that will change the depth the lures run. Spool up with what you prefer, and go from there. Most cranks ( let's take 800 series RR) 20 ft of line is only 3 ft difference in depth till you get to 100 ft of line , then it's only about 1 to 2 ft difference. Just cover the water column with your baits, listen to the radio to help give you an idea how far out/back others are getting fish. Then dial it in from there.

What I'm saying is don't just take a stab in the dark and try to cover the entire water column. That could be a bit tough to do with say only 4 lines out fishing 30 feet of water.

Watch your fish finder and see what depth the fish are actually at. Then target your lures to run 2 to 5 feet above them based on the dive curve of the lure you're running. This past weekend I was running 6 lines in 30 feet of water anywhere from 25 to 40 back with 30 to 35 working the best. Play with the speed a bit until you find what they want.
    Last edited by ReelTime; 04-06-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    Wow that's a broad range...31 to 100 gives you about 20 feet of depth variance. I like to think there's a little more of a science to how far back the bait is run.
    Spot on Reel Time