Where to launch Where to launch Where to launch Where to launch

Thread: Where to launch

Default Where to launch

Heh gang.

I view this site daily and love it. Heading up to the western basin on fri/sat for the first time this year. Livein Akron and not sure where to launch as I have never fished west of Catawba. Just bought a Triumph 215cc with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. She is ready to land walleye.

Any suggestions? I was thinking Fenwicks but would love some advice on where to launch and where to fish.

Default same boat

How you like your boat i have the 03 model and love it.i have a 150 salt water merc though. my boat is up by fenwick, its a good place to launch you are right by the complex of reefs. you could also go down the road to wild wings but i have never used there ramps. fenwick charges 5 dollars to ramp there and the lady has always been nice. good luck. pm me and we can talk boats.

Default Launch

Fenwick's has great gradual ramps and charge $5 it is a little bit of a ride out of the channel to get to the lake. Wild Wings has pretty steep ramps and charge $10 and is a shorter ride to the lake and recent action. Both have fish cleaning areas

I use wild wings not as busy sometimes (wouldn't have thought so last weekend) As far where to fish if you want to jig stay in close or out on the reefs. If you want to troll go out around the cans (D,E,F) Thats what worked for me last week could change this weekend

Default ramps

I run out of Fenwick Marina. Wild wings and fenwick are about 1 mile apart, fenwick is the west end. Turtle Creek has a few marinas that use the same channel to the lake. Wild Wings is its own channel. WW probably is best ramp for launch angle but is 10 bucks. Turtle Creek marina and fenwick have high traffic for the ramps in the spring. Fenwick has camping spots and overnight docks to rent. Turtle creek channel has a bridge to go under so let your antenna down till you hit the lake front.These 2 spots are popular for the area and are a shot ride to the reefs or go a short run west Crane creek shoreline. Both marinas are good places to launch, get there early to beat some of the rush. Start shallow , say 10 ft then 13-14 foot of water, if that doesnt work for you , try Locust, Cone, Toussaint and Round reefs. This area is right in front of the D. Besse nuclear plant cooling tower. There will be plenty of boats out there in close and on the first couple reefs. Dont forget minnows.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Just something to consider. The LEWT tournament is running out of Fenwick this weekend so on top of the other fisherman you'll have an additional 80 boats. I heard last weekend they were lined up out to Rt. 2 waiting to launch. Think it will be a mess.

Was there last year the weekend of the tournament and didn't think the LEWT anglers were ever going to get launched. How about the one down by Paradise Campground, it's kinda out of the way and a straight shot to the fishin. Can't think of the Marina's name!!!

Kodiak
    Not 100% certain but I think the ramp/marina by paradise campground is Beef Creek . A great location but I don't think they have a very large parking area.

Quote Originally Posted by Throttles Down View Post
    Kodiak
    Not 100% certain but I think the ramp/marina by paradise campground is Beef Creek . A great location but I don't think they have a very large parking area.
    It is Beef Creek Marina and they should be able to help you! Beef Creek runs into the 2saint river about 3/8ths of a mile from their ramp. But The 2saint river can be a bear getting out and back in with any type of west wind or south wind. Went out from Paradise Acers last sunday and only had a couple of feet of water in the transition channel from the river to the lake with a light northely wind. It will be much better once they get that channel dredged but they are not sure when the dredge crew will get at it. So that is something to think about. They did get the bouys in the channel while we were out fishing so that is a help. Heading due north east would run you almost into 2saint reef then crib reef then Niagra Reef. J-can is visable from the river mouth channel once out into the lake on your port side if heading NE.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Where to launch

Thanks to all for your tips and advice. Much appreciated. Hope to talk to some of you on 71 this weekend.