An alternative to Marine radio An alternative to Marine radio An alternative to Marine radio An alternative to Marine radio

Default An alternative to Marine radio

Just a thought. I have been following the discussion about communicating on one of the marine channels. Here is an alternative for those who have smart phones. As an example. A Google+ circle could be set up to include anyone who had access to the internet. Those folks could stay in constant communications via the internet. The circle could be open to the public or limited to whoever you wanted. I'm open for comments good or bad

Quote Originally Posted by igotfish View Post
    Just a thought. I have been following the discussion about communicating on one of the marine channels. Here is an alternative for those who have smart phones. As an example. A Google+ circle could be set up to include anyone who had access to the internet. Those folks could stay in constant communications via the internet. The circle could be open to the public or limited to whoever you wanted. I'm open for comments good or bad
    It's a great idea except in my experience my phone only works about 2 mi off shore, I have the HTC thunderbolt its not a cheep phone by no means. I just don't have the reliability in my phone.

I have to agree with gettin jiggy that getting a signal is a problem. I know it is for me most of the time when i'm out there.

Default Good comments

I have had pretty good luck with reception but that would definitely be a problem. I'm anxious to get on the water and check out where I have reception and where I don't. My experience has been that access to the internet seems to be better than voice communication. Not sure why that is but will try to find out. Thanks for the comments.

Its a good idea, but like everyone said, the data coverage out there can get spotty. I know last year I was out 1-2 miles north of Kelley's and had no service almost the entire day.

Default Thanks for the comments

i appreciate the comments. I would like to ask those of you that have smart phones to do a test. See how your text messages and internet access work in those areas where you don't have voice communication. When the fish aren't biting of course. )

Usually I can get a text to go through when there isn't enough service for a phone call to work. However, last year while camping at KISP, I noticed I didn't have service in the campground. I'd head up to the NW corner of the island, or to the south side of the island to have service.

Getting out off the island to the north and NE side, I'd have a little service, but out near the border it was bad. I actually went into data roaming mode a few times, and I was told to be cautious if you were data roaming on any canadian towers cause you could incur charges.

And of course, if I don't have service for a text, i didn't have internet (data) coverage.