Maybe a early season Maybe a early season Maybe a early season Maybe a early season

Default Maybe a early season

I was looking at the extended forcast, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, b/c the weather man isn't always right, but it looks like except for a couple of days the temperatures the next couple weeks are above avg.(Accuweather.com Toledo). I have been coming over to Lake Erie for that last 4 yrs, and I am still learning, and have never seen a year like this one at least to my knowledge. That being said, I was wondering what some of you more experienced guys thought, do you think that the jig bite will start earliler this year? I am hoping to get over there by the week of 3-12-12 weather permitting!!! Good luck and tight lines to those who are fishing now.

There seems to be allot of activity with the trollers catching limits or near limits of very large walleyes right now, weather permitting. Most if not all are powered with outboards as outboards drain out the water once back on the trailer without any or very little effort by the boat owner, they don't have to worry about a cold snap or winterizing again.
    They are slow trolling crank baits, reef runner 800's and husky jerks between .08 and 1.4 mph north of the reefs, the cone reef area in particular seems to get allot of attention. The jig bite will soon be here but to me it is still early. 2 things affect when the jig bite gets going, one would be water temps and the other would be amount of daylight available, both are needed to get things rolling.
    3/12/12 could be a winner if this weather holds, and we are gaining about 3 min. of daylight almost every day.
    Last edited by wakina; 02-29-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Blog Entries

Default early?

well my experience has been even though us fisherman are eager to get started fishing. that walleye go as much by amount of daylight as warm weather. people will catch plenty of fish early trolling and even some jigging but jig fishing and more patternable locations will be closer to normal times than we would like. its gonna be a great year, if you fish early be safe, likely not many people out to helpif there is a problem.
    Fast Action Charters will be in march 17 ready to run! cast or troll were ready to go!
    fastactioncharters.com