electric trolling motor ? electric trolling motor ? electric trolling motor ? electric trolling motor ?

Default electric trolling motor ?

Got a new boat trying to set it up. Any one ever used the motor mount electric trolling motor from min kota?

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin Jiggy View Post
    Got a new boat trying to set it up. Any one ever used the motor mount electric trolling motor from min kota?
    Min Kota is the way to go. Have one on the 30ft and I can go anyplace I want. Being quiet on the rock piles or staying on top of active fish on calm days. Slow troll worm harnesses in mid May when its calm. Some have their own auto pilot like the one I use. Good Tool to have.
    Last edited by gregnwtf; 02-27-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

I have several friends that have the motor mount minn kota (EM 101) and they all like them very much. I agree that they are much nicer than a kicker motor in many ways, but I use my bow mount. I have an ipilot that has auto pilot and, in my opinion, it's much nicer. The auto pilot is so nice, the only problem you might have is forgetting to turn around once in awhile to make sure you aren't gonna run into another boat. Another advantage is that you have much more boat control with the bow mount pulling the boat rather than any motor pushing the boat. I don't know what kind of boat you have, but if it is suitable for your boat, you would not regret the ipilot. the engine mounts are nice too, and cheaper. either way, I would recommend a 36 volt system. good luck.

I have the two 80lb thrust untits mounted on my 250 outboard. The systems works well, but I only get about 3 to 4 hour run time depending on wind and waves. Since each unit is a 24 volt motor, i have to run 4 batteries. I had the control box go out on them as well. Minn-kota sent me a new one and stood behind it. Unit works for what it is, but i would still suggest a gas kicker if that would work for your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshellcracker View Post
    I have several friends that have the motor mount minn kota (EM 101) and they all like them very much. I agree that they are much nicer than a kicker motor in many ways, but I use my bow mount. I have an ipilot that has auto pilot and, in my opinion, it's much nicer. The auto pilot is so nice, the only problem you might have is forgetting to turn around once in awhile to make sure you aren't gonna run into another boat. Another advantage is that you have much more boat control with the bow mount pulling the boat rather than any motor pushing the boat. I don't know what kind of boat you have, but if it is suitable for your boat, you would not regret the ipilot. the engine mounts are nice too, and cheaper. either way, I would recommend a 36 volt system. good luck.
    Thanks for the info. I wanted to get a terova with I pilot but the new boat is a center consol that has a nice bow rail and the anchor locker is also on the bow. Didnt want to chop up that stuff for a bow mount unit. Also I dont like the looks and noise of a gas kicker, so that left the motor mount. I just hope it doesent affect performance.

Thanks for the info. I wanted to get a terova with I pilot but the new boat is a center consol that has a nice bow rail and the anchor locker is also on the bow. Didnt want to chop up that stuff for a bow mount unit. Also I dont like the looks and noise of a gas kicker, so that left the motor mount. I just hope it doesent affect performance.
    The guys I know who have the engine mounts have no complaints that I'm aware of as far as the performance, but they run 20 foot skeeters and rangers. I don't think you'll have a problem with performance, but some people might encourage you to get a kicker for safety reasons. If your main motor quits on you a kicker should still get you to safety. An electic motor...I guess it depends on how close to shore you are, how much charge is in the batteries, weather conditions, etc.

My buddy runs one one a 23' Wellcraft center console. I beleive its the 36 volt model that bolts on to the cavitation plate. As far as performance od the main engine there is no effect as the electric motor is out of the water once you're up on plane. The only thing I know is that in the warmer monthes when you need to pull cranks from 1.5 to 2.0 m.p.h. you will strugle to get the speed in a decent wind. Personally I prefer my Yamaha 4 stroke kicker.

Question 160em

I own a 25' hard Top that I was interested in running the 160EM but cannot find any info, would I be able to troll 1-2.5 mph with it and if so for how long. I see these motors are 24v, if anyone could answer these questions I would appreciate it. Thanks