Bottom Paint Bottom Paint Bottom Paint Bottom Paint
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bottom Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bottom Paint

I need to paint the virgin hull of my fiberglass boat and would like some advice on what is the most durable, fuel efficient, cost effective and actually keeps crap from building up on the hull while docked for the season. Has anyone applied barrier coat prior to the bottom paint? There are so many options availble I thought I would ask for help from you guys that have had tried different brands and types and know what works the best.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i painted mine last summer. i kightly sanded the bottom and used unepoxy standard anti fouling paint made by Pettit. you can get it in different colors . it cost $37 for a quart .
    my boat was in the water all summer . pressure washed it when i pulled it out looked pretty good .
    hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

to me this is a topic barely addresses at all in the boating community.Not many people even know to do this or even consider it. I see you have done your research.So kudos to you. My boat has a barrier coat. To me it is a piece of mind thing. Not sure what boat you have but some tout anti blistering resins for their hulls. I am not a chemist and can't speak to resin composites but simple math tells me that it is easier to do a barrier coat upfront than chance it and pay big time for blister repairs down the road. I would do it as I have seen boats blister when they only sit a few months a year in the water. Also, think of this. To repair, the hull has to completely dry out, which could take a long time, then the repair shop has to get to it and complete the rest of the job and that me be longer than you would like when the fishing is hot!! Great question!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default bottom paint

I had a virgin bottom, I did some looking and asking, knowing my boat will sit in water for 6 months a year-
    I started with a 80gt DA sander, knocked shine off, wipped down with thinner/cleaner. (Products at West Marine)Applied (INTLUX) Pro-Teck 2001 or something, it was a gray barrier gaurd- supossed to act shingle like effect on a house, to keep water from working into gelcoat. Then 2 coats of blue anti-fouling. The boat went 2 years without any blue chipping off at all, this year I gave it a quick freshing up to take the fadded look away.
    This method worked great, but took twice the time- but is/was worth it to me. I believe pease of mind was mentioned in a previous post. I will do this exactlly the same nest time-100%.
    Barrier gaurd was $115 and anti about $50 qt. The Blue goes along way, 1 qt did my 24" boat.
    Ron
    www.somethinfishycharters.com
    aka- Capt. Concrete