Radio ideas, need imput from members Radio ideas, need imput from members Radio ideas, need imput from members Radio ideas, need imput from members
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lest we forget

I bumped this thread to the top so newer guys and some of us older farts, especially me, keeps this in mind.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I need to remember to program it into my radio when I get out there! CRS and CSS Can't remember * can't see *.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sounds good!

I will join in on 84 ...fishincrazy

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Great Idea...Thanks!

This is a fantastic idea for those of us that can't get out as often as we'd like to......and when we do, it's not a situation of being able to plan on it- and choose the time to hit the water.....the time and the situation chooses us!. With that, there's no telling who's out there (and on the radio) that we know.....which greatly decreases the chances of having a good run- ending up with hit-n-miss.

Kudos to who thought of this!

Are any docks in yet? Is anyone on the water yet?

Thanks in advance,

Walleyefreak- aboard the Carpe' Diem / 21' Starcraft O/B

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I could live stream channel 84 at my work so I could keep up with everything!
    Great idea, thx guys!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried 84 several times this past Sunday with no answer. Guess you guys weren't on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Boat is not in yet, hopefully 3/23 will be on 84

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: radio channels

If things are like I think they are, the channels you are talking about 24 and 84 are marine operator channels that were designated by the FCC for use in public sea to shore telephone communication. They are encripted meaning you can only hear one side of the conversation. They are also ( or at least used to be) used by Telephone companies only. A lot has changed in the last few years but be aware there may be problems with these selections. That's the very reason the Non-Com channlels are all cluttered. The rest are all off limits for reports and day to day hailing and chatter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More about Channel 84

When I say that the channels are encrypted and you can only hear one side of the converstion the reason is you are transmitting on one frequency but your radio automaticaly receives on another because the on shore operations from the telephone company tranmits on a different channel. I am very sure you can not transmit boat to boat on any of the ship to shore dual frequency channels. Your radio does not have the same frequency in transmit and receive as it does in single frequency channles such as 68 or 69. Again the reason for the clutter on the single freq. channels. The channels you have available for ship to ship communications of other than safety related (ch06) are very limited, all other channels are fairly strictly regulated and may involve problems for the user for other purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIN CAN View Post
    If things are like I think they are, the channels you are talking about 24 and 84 are marine operator channels that were designated by the FCC for use in public sea to shore telephone communication. They are encripted meaning you can only hear one side of the conversation. They are also ( or at least used to be) used by Telephone companies only. A lot has changed in the last few years but be aware there may be problems with these selections. That's the very reason the Non-Com channlels are all cluttered. The rest are all off limits for reports and day to day hailing and chatter.
    TIN CAN:

Based upon the FCC page for VHF Radio channel use it appears that you are correct! Looks like we need to change to one of the NONCOMMERCIAL channels listed in the following FCC link and found under noncommercial.

We definately need one we can communicate on if 84 is unavailable to us. What do you guys think? What channel should we use if you agree with my assessment of the situation? I will go along with any choice that pleases the other members. here is the link.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/vhfchanl.pdf
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip