Radio ideas, need imput from members Radio ideas, need imput from members Radio ideas, need imput from members Radio ideas, need imput from members
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Well then according to that link there are not many choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 84 is no more

that's pry why i didn't have any response yesterday..if you guys choose an other channel be sure to update us,would have loved to get some info out to the crew yesterday..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    TIN CAN:

Based upon the FCC page for VHF Radio channel use it appears that you are correct! Looks like we need to change to one of the NONCOMMERCIAL channels listed in the following FCC link and found under noncommercial.

We definately need one we can communicate on if 84 is unavailable to us. What do you guys think? What channel should we use if you agree with my assessment of the situation? I will go along with any choice that pleases the other members. here is the link.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/vhfchanl.pdf
    Wakina, will u pick the new channel? I floped the last one. Sence this thread is so long it might be better to start a new one, so everyone will see the change.

Gettin jiggy

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like channel 84 is a wash for us.

Gettin Jiggy asked me to pick another channel to use and I could do that, but I would like some input from the other members who will also be using this system. So please speak/type up so we can make a decision based upon all of our input.

This looks like the list of available channels for our use for keeping us informed, I am unsure about channel 9 but the others are 68, 69, 71, 72, 78, 79, 80. Anyone who is familiar with any of these channels and how busy they are please give us your opinion.

I know that 71 is really busy mostly on the weekends and has a lot of BS conversations on it talking about all sorts of stuff not related to boating or fishing, 71 is also used by those seeking a dock at Portside Marina so maybe we should keep that in mind as we decide. We will probably have to sift through alot of radio traffic no matter which channel that is decided on. Thanking all in advance for any input that they might give.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Radio

There is not an easy answer to this delima. Consider the primary purpose of the on board radio and the requirments the FCC, Coast Guard and the ITU have put on it's use. First if you have a radio on board it must by federal law be tuned to watch channel 16 except when it is activley being used to communicate on another channel. I know that this requirement is bypassed by a great number of the boaters today. But consider the safety of your crew or a fellow boater if you miss an urgent marine warning or PAN for assistance to a nearby boat in distress. Having covered all that, channel 9, and 68 are generally used boat to boat hailing with the other as working channels. My suggestion to get around a lot of this would be a call on 16 something like this . WAKINA to WC. then any Walleye.com memember can respond WC(member name) to WAKINA . Channel 68 or whatever channel you would choose at the time. If another Channel is less busy then it would be an option but by hailing on 16 to WC you identify yourself to other members as a member requesting info. or contact. The responding member would comeback as whatever their member name is preceeded by WC. With suggestion on a working channel to tune to.

My thoughts on a tricky situation.

Post Thanks / Like

TIN CAN:

The channels 68, 69, 71, 78, 79, 80 are working channels, channel 72 is a working channel for ship to ship only, meaning that you can stand on them for day to day comunications and not be in violation of FCC rules as long as you are using them for non commercial use. Hopefully with the amount of radio traffic that we will be generating using 16 as a hailing channel may start to cause us problems with the USCG as they look at 16 as an emergency only channel.

Most of us would probably prefer to stand on, use or monitor just one channel for our comunication needs. I usually use one basic channel and scan 16 for emergencies. I thank you for your insite and contribution on this matter.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

wakina,

I also hope you guys can jam up the system with information, that will mean that there is something to talk about which will be great. It's a worth while venture and I hope all works out well in it.

TIN CAN

Post Thanks / Like

I have monitored 72 for many years, most days not much activity on it, mostly all people I know over 40 years plus fishing the lake.That may be a option.

I would be glad to share any fishing info. I have to report.

My boat 27 Sportcraft going in next few weeks Meinke West. this coming weekend I have a friend that is bringing his 21 Bayliner from Indiana, we will be jigging the Reefs first trip tonight weather permitting! will let you know how we do!

V.P Joe Biden was in town yesterday and made an unexpected stop at my school, when he was on his way to the Chrysler Plant we had our students out waving at him and on his return trip he told his convoy to pull into our school!! Very exciting for the Rossford School District , I was able to shake hands with him and have picture of it!

Capt. Tacky

Post Thanks / Like

I'm open to what ever you guys come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't we go with channel 71 for now and see how it works out?