trolling bag question? trolling bag question? trolling bag question? trolling bag question?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trolling bag question?

I was wandering if any of u folks on here use trolling bags to slow down your 272 sportcrafts I have a 272 with a 7.4 and am looking to run 2 bags one off each side of the midship cleat looking to stay under 2 mph I would say for trolling for walleye what size bags do u reccomend so I don't have to idle the engine ... Oh and by the way I won't troll a lot that's why I don't want to put the money into a kicker .

I run 2 bags off the mid ship (21ft boat) amish outfitter bags. I bought cheaper bags to start , I'm sold now they are the best. Thee system works great bags off the sides give me all the room anyone could want for trolling and tons of control. I can work the bags higher our lower in the water to change speed and direction its awesome! I tun two 24 bags

You should run the 48s ob a272

Blog Entries

Default Trolling Bag question

Here's a chart to help you with size of bag needed and a link with more information and where you can purchase

http://www.walleyetacklestore.com/amoubebagsea.html

Size of Sea Anchor ** Length of Boat

15" Sea Anchor ** 16' - 19' boat

18" Sea Anchor ** 16' - 19' boat

22" Sea Anchor ** 14' - 24'boat

28" Sea Anchor ** 24' - 30' boat

36" Sea Anchor ** 28' - 32' boat

48" Sea Anchor ** Greater than 32' boat

I use two 28in bags on my sportcraft with the same motor at idle. If you don't want idle you will have to go bigger. I also carry one of every other size up to 6 foot wide for early spring and late fall fishing.

Ok so if the 28 do it at idle the 36 or 48 should do what I need for sure.... Why do u carry all the other size bags if the 28 work for u?

Oh and thanks for everyone's advise keep it coming anyone else use bags out there sound like the Amish outfitted one r the best any one used the 36 s or 48 s on the 272 what rpm and speed will they do say with 2 36 s

I run a 27 Sport with the same motor and it takes 2 48" bags to get down to around 1.8 mph. The 36" bags would only do around 2.5 so I took them back. The boat normally idles at 3.3 mph or so (In my opinion it idles too high and I haven't looked into lowering it). I bought the bags from Highway Bait out of necessity. I couldn't find 2 36" bags at the time anywhere. I haven't had any trouble with them but don't have many hours on them so I can't say as to how they will hold up. Good Luck!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by bowguy84 View Post
    Ok so if the 28 do it at idle the 36 or 48 should do what I need for sure.... Why do u carry all the other size bags if the 28 work for u?

Here is a copy and paste from an earlier thread about trolling bags!

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=1760
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default high idle

Quote Originally Posted by walleye2go View Post
    I run a 27 Sport with the same motor and it takes 2 48" bags to get down to around 1.8 mph. The 36" bags would only do around 2.5 so I took them back. The boat normally idles at 3.3 mph or so (In my opinion it idles too high and I haven't looked into lowering it). I bought the bags from Highway Bait out of necessity. I couldn't find 2 36" bags at the time anywhere. I haven't had any trouble with them but don't have many hours on them so I can't say as to how they will hold up. Good Luck!

Greg
    Look at your rpm at idle. That does seem high for a 27. You may have a deep cup prop which is good for running on plane but moves alot of water. You should able to get down to 1.5 or less with those huge bags. Average 30 Sports go down 2.6 or less without bags. Drop your trim tabs down also, more drag.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]