Can anyone chime in ? Can anyone chime in ? Can anyone chime in ? Can anyone chime in ?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can anyone chime in ?

I was reading another forum today and this was posted(check the link). I can't find this magazine (In-Fisherman 2012 Walleye Guide ) locally so I cannot confirm it. I will try to find it in another town on Monday. So if anyone can chime in please do so!! If any guest has read this Magazine article I am inviting you as one Walleye fisherman to another that you please register and share that information with our community. You are more than welcome on this site as a member and any contribution that you may make would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...d.php?t=190999

@#
    Last edited by wakina; 01-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Well that is good news.
    One of my good friends works at the OSU Stone Lab on Gibralter at Put In Bay, I'll ask him and see what he's heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Default good news good news

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Well that is good news.
    One of my good friends works at the OSU Stone Lab on Gibralter at Put In Bay, I'll ask him and see what he's heard.
    I guess I will have to check some of my older posts and see if I said the same thing awhile back. I hope the studies are true from the magazine. I will have to read that, then make a few phone calls to see if the story holds water. As for the people I have talked to over the last few months, it is all making the right sense. Lets all keep our fingers crossed thats its all true. Charter captains conference is in 6 weeks and I should have a good idea from the info given out on that day. I will try to pass on any viable info to put the rumors to rest.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregnwtf View Post
    I guess I will have to check some of my older posts and see if I said the same thing awhile back. I hope the studies are true from the magazine. I will have to read that, then make a few phone calls to see if the story holds water. As for the people I have talked to over the last few months, it is all making the right sense. Lets all keep our fingers crossed thats its all true. Charter captains conference is in 6 weeks and I should have a good idea from the info given out on that day. I will try to pass on any viable info to put the rumors to rest.
    Here is link to a thread from Jan 1, 2012 that has your observation as well as mine about the hatch for 2011. There were lots of YOY walleyes caught by perch fishermen this past fall, also the minnow netters had their problems with them while netting bait for the perch fishermen! Hopefully things are better than what showed up in the ODNR trawls this fall. Based upon my observations and reports from my friends it is hard for me to believe the walleye hatch was as poor as they claimed it to be.

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=3755
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. We caught little walleye I think every perch trip this fall. I do remember 1 day catching 13 little spikes in about a 3 hour perch trip. All I can say is hope for the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link that says what the state thinks, but it is only half complete just like it was in 2010 when they released it. Then had to revise the numbers up to an almost average hatch after completing the second half of the trawls!

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/enew...6/Default.aspx
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quote from the magazine

Lake Erie Western Basin: Until the spring of 2011, Erie's western basin hadn't seen a productive spawning season since 2003. Biologists know that strong year classes like the one in 2003 are rare. WEATHER CONDITIONS WERE IDEAL and the spring of 2011 appers to have produced another banner year class to bouy the fishery for years to come. That's great news for anglers who target walleyes at ports including Monroe, Luna Pier, and Toledo.

Lake Erie Central Basin: What's good for the Western basin of Lake Erie is also good for the Central basin. The huge 2011 year class also occured in many parts of the central basin. BIOLOGIST ESTIMATE IT COULD BE THE LARGEST IN LAKE ERIE HISTORY. Walleyes that spawn in the western basin travel through the central basin during spring and fall. These transient and resident fish make for easy pickings at popular ports including Port Clinton, Huron, and Lorain.

It would be nice if they wrer right. Not what I had heard previously though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yrick82 View Post
    Lake Erie Western Basin: Until the spring of 2011, Erie's western basin hadn't seen a productive spawning season since 2003. Biologists know that strong year classes like the one in 2003 are rare. WEATHER CONDITIONS WERE IDEAL and the spring of 2011 appers to have produced another banner year class to bouy the fishery for years to come. That's great news for anglers who target walleyes at ports including Monroe, Luna Pier, and Toledo.

Lake Erie Central Basin: What's good for the Western basin of Lake Erie is also good for the Central basin. The huge 2011 year class also occured in many parts of the central basin. BIOLOGIST ESTIMATE IT COULD BE THE LARGEST IN LAKE ERIE HISTORY. Walleyes that spawn in the western basin travel through the central basin during spring and fall. These transient and resident fish make for easy pickings at popular ports including Port Clinton, Huron, and Lorain.

It would be nice if they wrer right. Not what I had heard previously though.
    I personally believe the 2011 walleye hatch survial was and is better than what the test trawls indicate. But there is no way that I feel the 2011 hatch and survival rate was or is the "LARGEST IN LAKE ERIE HISTORY" Probably more like 2010 which turned out much better than the trawls indicated at first. I felt this way, long before this article became available. I don't believe the ODNR would be keeping this a secret if the hatch was that great!!!
    check link!

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...ic,1337.0.html
    Last edited by wakina; 01-17-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just throwing this out there if this is true could the reported high hatch be related to the low number of people fishing in the spring of 2011 due to weather conditions?

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default nice but is it true

hope its true the 2003 class has been supporting the westernbasin a long time and they are getting old sure would be nice.we caught undersize fish while perch fishing. but when the 2003 class was under the 15 inch size we were catching 50 a day trolling was hard to get the bigger fish because the little ones would not leave our lures alone. there was days when we would handle 100s of fish to keep a 4 man limit. so we will see next year would be great