walleye limit walleye limit walleye limit walleye limit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walleye limit

Post Thanks / Like

Default walleye limit

Heard limit of walleye being dropped to four (4) for this year, ant truth to this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul meisner View Post
    Heard limit of walleye being dropped to four (4) for this year, ant truth to this ?
    The Great Lakes Fishery Commission will meet sometime in March, it consists of a bi-national board of fishery managers from Michigan, New York, Ohio, Ontario, and Pennsylvania. They will determine what the total allowable catch (TAC) will be based upon the best science currently available to them. Those numbers will be released in late March or early April and those numbers will then be divided up between the different jusidictions that makeup The Great Lakes Fishery Commission and the 2012 bag limits will be set from those numbers by each jurisdiction. So it will probably be mid to late April before we will know what the 2012 bag limit will be for Ohio.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't see it

I can't see them reducing the limit to 4 this year when we see commercial nets in the water. We have the reduced limit of 4 during the spawning periods as it is. I don't see them killing a multimillion dollar sportfishing industry by making such a drastic reduction on the sportsman.

However,I would like to see more restrictions on the netters!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the info, yes i totally agree more restriction on the netters, and also would like to see the limit on perch to go up more RIGHT!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, yes i totally agree more restriction on the netters, and also would like to see the limit on perch to go up more RIGHT!!

My source in the ODNR says that there will probably be a reduction in the perch limit from 30 to 25 as perch were on the low side of the numbers needed to support a 30 fish limit last year. But that was just his opinion and he does not make that call in the ODNR. But in the past he has been right!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default fish limit

I listened to a speaker at our last fishing club meeting tell us that Mi, Oh and Pa. were going to either a 4 fish or slot limit ... if it will save the fishery I'm all for it

Post Thanks / Like

Default wow

with gas prices going up and fishing limits going down. its going to make it hard for a charter captain to get clients.sure hope it gets better, and what would the slot be on the lake. that might make it tough lucky i love lake erie.just watched a fishing show on bcsn they were trolling for the eyes in cleveland in close to shore at night in the middle of december. and were using in line boards and catching some nice fish makes me whant to go get the net

Post Thanks / Like

Default this year

Quote Originally Posted by rscotfish View Post
    with gas prices going up and fishing limits going down. its going to make it hard for a charter captain to get clients.sure hope it gets better, and what would the slot be on the lake. that might make it tough lucky i love lake erie.just watched a fishing show on bcsn they were trolling for the eyes in cleveland in close to shore at night in the middle of december. and were using in line board. s and catching some nice fish makes me whant to go get the net
    This same topic keeps popping up. There is not anything set for limit changes. The TAC will not be announced till April. Its the same time every year when they announce what the lake can handle for fish being taken.People will still go fishing, they go because they plan on it and save for it. 2008 was a very expensive year for fuel on the boat but people still came to fish and the fishing was good. Last spring the fishing was not that great the fuel wasnt cheap, people still came to fish as I was swamped with charters. People love to fish for walleye and not afraid dig into their wallet to go. Some guys have increased the fee per charter and some have not, and people will pay it to fish the famous Lake Erie.I have paid 5 bucks a gallon to fill the boat and didnt deter the people from driving up, spend a night or two and fish for 2 days and happy as can be about it. If the limits goes down ( I said this last year and didnt change ) we have to deal with it, but we dont need to sit here and complain about it when the TAC isnt announced till we are aleady jigging. How many people complained when the limit up to 10 walleye per day ? How many people only fish for walleye in the Maumee a couple days in the spring ? Most people on charters normally only fish Erie one day a year or only travel to Erie to fish one time in their life. So many people dont know what the limit is until they are on the boat and we are heading out and they ask. So , sit back and wait till the TAC is made public.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Question

Greg, we are just talking because we can't fish yet

I have a question. How does it work if I cross the border into Canada and catch my 6 fish and come back to the states. Will the ODNR accept my Canadian license as proof if I'm checked at the dock?

Post Thanks / Like

Default whatever

whatever happens 4 man limit or 6 man limit ill be fishing just because i love erie and fishing but its getting tougher to catch walleye i have no problem getting a perch limit been fishing erie for 40 years and im a caster im setup for trolling but we get enough for frezzer. i really like to jig close to shore less gas and less time. and yea im just talking fishing.because i cant go fishing