walleye limit walleye limit walleye limit walleye limit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: walleye limit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Greg, we are just talking because we can't fish yet

I have a question. How does it work if I cross the border into Canada and catch my 6 fish and come back to the states. Will the ODNR accept my Canadian license as proof if I'm checked at the dock?
    You cannot have more than your Ohio possesion limit with you or you will be sited, also you must have a valid Ohio licence with you! Example: If the limit would be 6 fish in Canada and 5 fish in Ohio then you could only bring back 5 fish and remain legal in the eyes of the ODNR. The ODNR does not know where you caught those fish and you Would Be in Ohio when you got checked where the daily limit is only 5 in possesion compared to 6 in Canada. As long as both limits are the same there would be no problem as long as you do not exceed the daily limit of 6 fish meaning you could catch 6 fish in canada and then return to dock or any combination between Ohio waters and Canada waters so long as you do not exceed 6 fish.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-13-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    You cannot have more than your Ohio possesion limit with you or you will be sited, also you must have a valid Ohio licence with you! Example: If the limit would be 6 fish in Canada and 5 fish in Ohio then you could only bring back 5 fish and remain legal in the eyes of the ODNR. The ODNR does not know where you caught those fish and you Would Be in Ohio when you got checked where the daily limit is only 5 in possesion compared to 6 in Canada. As long as both limits are the same there would be no problem as long as you do not exceed the daily limit of 6 fish meaning you could catch 6 fish in canada and then return to dock or any combination between Ohio waters and Canada waters so long as you do not exceed 6 fish.
    Nice job explaining that...

Post Thanks / Like

Default over the line

Greg, we are just talking because we can't fish yet
    I have a question. How does it work if I cross the border into Canada and catch my 6 fish and come back to the states. Will the ODNR accept my Canadian license as proof if I'm checked at the dock?
    I have spoke with game wardens about this a few times. Wakina is correct, you should posses only the Ohio daily limit when going into Ohio ports. I dont fish Canada much so I have to make phone calls to be sure I dont break the laws. Plenty of fish in Ohio but I like Canada in late summer and fall, and I love fishing late summer around Ashtabula. The central basin during late July and August for walleye is just plain fun. Trolling only in that area as the walleye are suspended deep and the perch are huge. The walleye are a long run and the perch are somewhat close in. This occupies my time
    during the late summer and still fishing Ohio waters. If you figure the boat running time for Canada islands and the central basin harbors are similar so its your pick. Just fishing Ohio waters is less hassle unless you want more peace by fishing the north water.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canadian Water

Thanks for the info guys, that makes perfect sense.

I am looking at getting my Canadian license online right now so I will have it when the time comes. Last year we we slamming the walleye right on the border at the weather bouy and sometimes they were schooled up well over the line. A friend of mine also got many limits over the line when we were struggling. I always wanted to try the smallmouth fishing over there too. I just want to have more options when I make that 2 1/2 hour drive up for the day.

Count down is on until spring jigging starts!

Post Thanks / Like

Default jumpers

Thanks for the info guys, that makes perfect sense.

I am looking at getting my Canadian license online right now so I will have it when the time comes. Last year we we slamming the walleye right on the border at the weather bouy and sometimes they were schooled up well over the line. A friend of mine also got many limits over the line when we were struggling. I always wanted to try the smallmouth fishing over there too. I just want to have more options when I make that 2 1/2 hour drive up for the day.

Count down is on until spring jigging starts!
    Smallmouth in Canada water around the islands and reefs is just great. Several really good spots to anchor or slow drift and use softcrawls. This is best during late summer and early fall. Sometimes smallies are in the shallow water on top of the reefs by pitching a little crankbait. I mean very shallow, in tight with a couple bonus walleye during mid fall.
    With the first real snowfall on the ground I am thinking spring alot. Ready for jigging.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]