Boat choice ... Boat choice ... Boat choice ... Boat choice ...

Thread: Boat choice ...

Default Boat choice ...

I'm new to Lake Erie fishing ... I've moved south from Northern Mi where I'm used to fishing Lake Michigan Salmon and smaller in land lakes, I'm in the market for a new boat and I want to know what kind of boat works well on lake Erie and the Detroit River ..?

The real question is how much money do have to spend on a boat!

you'll have to decide if you want aluminum or glass. 20 to 21ft. since you mention the detroit river I take it you plan on jigging/handlining the river and trolling lake erie. you can get by with an 18 or 19 fter, but the extra room/comfort of a 21 fter and being able to span waves better with the 21 would be alot nicer. are you buying new or used? glass tends to be a much dryer ride, but when it's really rockin out on erie, give me tin. the transom lifts alot faster = less water in the boat/less chance of filling with water. I run an 18 ft aluminum I have setup to do it all ( would like a 21fter) and it's always gotten me back even in 8+ fters thru many tourney's. you have to know how to run what ever you get, but there's always a chance of a rouge wave and that changes everything..quickly. don't under power if your going to fish erie. decide what type of layout you want/need. sit in plenty of boats, look around and think about where everything is mounted, stored etc etc. then go shopping

my budget is between 10 -15k

Quote Originally Posted by boatlimit View Post
    my budget is between 10 -15k

There are probably alot of boats in your price range in the Boats for sale page on this site. Your needs will dictate what you should buy. If you buy used and it is an I/O it would be best to have it surveyed both mechanical and structure as the small cost of a survey can save you a bunch of head aches and heart breaks later as well as alot of money. Probably best to have any boat that you want to buy surveyed for flaws before you buy it.. I just sold a 21 ft cuddy cabin after I bought a 23ft walk around there is no comparison between the two boats ride wise and room wise. Wife wanted me to get something that had a better ride or she would quit going fishing with me.
    The western basin of Erie is fickle, it is shallow as the other Great lakes go with probably nothing over 35 to 40 ft with a few really small areas a little deeper and she can get really rough and dangerous in a very short period of time. Lake Michigan gets a different type of rough so you have to take that into consideration.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-10-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Blog Entries

Default good boat?

Look at the 1989 24' Thompson for $12K. Looks like it make a nice one. Saw it on walleye.com - think its "Somthin Fishy" ?

Default boat choice ....

aluminum or fiberglass ..?

Blog Entries

Its fiberglass, dont think Thompson company made riveted boats...

Default Thompson Fisherman 240 HT

I have a 1989 Thompson 240 HT in great shape for a great price. I bought a bigger boat at the end of this season and need to sell this one. Let me know if you want me to send some pics?
    Thanks