Not Good News Not Good News Not Good News Not Good News
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Good News

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Good News

I hope they act and act fast because if this pans out like it did in the early 60's you younger generation guys have not seen anything yet, even as bad as it has been this past year you would be glad to have this past years water conditions back. It would be impossible for me to explain how bad it was or can get and I hope you don't ever have to find out or experience it yourself.

Nothing has been posted on Ohio Sea Grants web page though.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...d.php?t=190426
    Last edited by wakina; 01-05-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, its not looking good. It'll affect me and my future (22 years old)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    Yes, its not looking good. It'll affect me and my future (22 years old)
    When you have an inch or so of brownish green **** (I don't know how else to describe it ) floating on top of the water that sticks to your line and smells so bad that it will make you want to upchuck then you will know what the early to mid 60's was like, we used rags to wipe our line clean when retreiving our line/lures to keep that crap off of our reels. Please don't take me wrong as the entire lake was not covered but it was out there like large floating islands and we fished around them in the open areas between those floating algae islands, most often with poor results and after a blow there would be small patches of algae everywhere that were impossible to miss. We never gave up but we (my father and I) went fishless more often than not and I personally feel that it made all of us who fished hard in those times better walleye fishermen. I just hope they get a handle on this before it gets that bad again. I just wish that I could set down and look at you eye to eye to tell you these things so you would know how I feel and that I am wanting what is best for our lake and not posting a bunch of BS..
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

I am only 25 one of the younger fishermen on the lake and can only hope that we can get a handle on this alge befor the lake returns to what is was when my grandfather was fishing. He got to watch the lake return to what it is now I just hope I don't get to watch the lake return to what it was in the past. Can't wait till the spring jiggen starts good luck to all in 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Smile western end alge

I know the middle of lake had the alge, but the western end west sister to the west had some alge for the first four or five miles, but not that bad, saw worst in the 70's.
    but from late summer thru october we had some of the cleanest
    water I've seen in years, walleye trollers did welll and we had the best perch season we have had in years in size and numbers. Wayne Reel Sport Charters
    Last edited by wayne johnson; 01-07-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I swear the lake is going to hell (asian carp, algea, ect) because I just got interested in fishing a couple years ago. I have been going to Lake Erie since 2003, but never gave a thought about fishing. Now I regret all those years wasted. I bet a dollar if I take up knitting there will be a yarn shortage epidemic.

Post Thanks / Like

Alge or not still had my best perch season this year numbers and size was very good this year. Just wating for the spring walleye to get hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just is View Post
    Alge or not still had my best perch season this year numbers and size was very good this year. Just wating for the spring walleye to get hear.
    I had my best season in recent memory also with the size, numbers and time needed to catch those perch per limit. I am not picky and if that perch is in the 8 inch range in the box he goes, I don't cull fish over 8 inches.

Didn't mean to stir up any panic as things have a way of sorting themselves out. Grand Lake St. Marys always comes to mind and is mentioned most often as a comparison to Erie. The thing that bothers me is that roughly 1/2 the runoff from GLSM goes directly into the Maumee River and on into the lake. This is a concentrated solution of farm runoff.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Wakina,
    I don't post on the "other" site because there are too many "big shots" over there saying their way and opinion is the only way. There was however a BIG discussion there, that I was following (lurking) and when people mentioned St. Mary's others were blasted saying it is apples to oranges in comparision. I am glad you brought this up and made the point about St. Mary's eventually running into the Maumee. It's an overlooked fact and over there making any point is fruitless. Nice point. Thanks. Will
    Last edited by OneEyedWilly; 01-18-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedWilly View Post
    Wakina,
    I don't post on the "other" site because there are too many "big shots" over there saying their way and opinion is the only way. There was however a big discussion there, that I was following and when people mentioned St. Mary's they were blasted saying it is apples to oranges in comparision. I am glad you brought this up and made the point about St. Mary's eventually running into the Maumee. It's an overlooked fact and over there making any point is fruitless. Nice point. Thanks. Will
    I post over on the other site very little myself because of the same reason.

Here is a little history of GLSM!
    http://www.clickfindbuyersguide.com/..._st_marys.html

Information on the size of the Maumee River water shed!
    http://www.glc.org/raptest/maumee.html

Reading the article contained in the first link you will find that the spillway on the east end of GLSM goes/drains GLSM into the St Mary's River and then into the Maumee River, the spillway on the west end goes into the Wabash River which is in the Ohio River Water Shed. Parts of both the Maumee and Ohio River water sheds drain into GLSM.The article states that the prevailing winds are westerly in direction and anyone who fishes or boats on Lake Erie knows what a high west wind can do to the water depth on the west end of Erie and in turn just the opposite on the east end. So with the west wind forcing water to the east end and into the spillway there would be more water entering the Maumee Water Shed than the Ohio River Water Shed on those windy days, just like the two or three days that we just had, add to that all of the rain fall we had during the last three days and the runoff that follows, I think you can see my point. I feel that on those windy days the Maumee gets the lions share of that nasty water from that area including all of the runoff from the mega farms that are concentrated in that area.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS