Fishfinder Fishfinder Fishfinder Fishfinder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishfinder

Default Fishfinder

Looking to purchase a fishfinder for my boat over the winter. There seems to be many options.

I want to buy it right the first time.!

Any advice would be Greatly appreciated.

Best to all, tia

Ed

that's like picking a boat. everyone has their favorites. I've been running lowrance for over 30 yrs. I also have a raymarine which when it works is great but it fogs up every single time it's turned on for over an hour! factory couldn't find a problem. but it does work great. the toughest part for me would be learning a new product to where I can control it like I want to. just takes alot of time. if you don't have a top/bimini color units can be a pain. I have 3 color units and one monochrome. I'll take a monochrome for GPS ( which you didn't mention) anyday as I can always see it. but color tells you alot more about the structure and fish size than monochrome. you'll have to decide what your expectations/needs are. down imaging? side imaging? how much do you like working with advanced systems. there are dvd's and classes that will help with your learning curve depending on the manufacture/unit you pick.
    probably didn't help you any. but just some things to think about.

Smile depth finder

depends when you want to buy it, bass pro lowers the price on
    last year units by up to 50 percent, this way you can get twice
    as much a unit for the same amount of money. We also use
    lowrance and ray marine, its all we ever used. this usually
    happens in jan. to first part of feb.
    Wayne reel sport charters

Default choices

Yes, there are several choices out there with options that some will never or seldom use. Figure what you want to spend then get the best unit you can buy. Lowrance is what I use also, they came out with a new combo unit series. They are called the "Elite" series. Nice unit for the money. I have the HD series and its great for what I do. I prefer all color for ease of seeing what is what even from a short distance. Garmin has a few nice units also. Do the research since you have a few months before you need it. Do you already have a GPS ? Eagle is made by Lowrance if you didnt know, basically the same product. How much will you be using your boat is also a deciding factor. I wouldnt spend $1000 on a unit and only fish 4-5 times a year. Dont forget a good compass if your unit ever quits on ya while out there. Done that one already. I sent in my old non working unit to Lowrance and they sent me a nice discount off a new Lowrance unit. Just some food for thought. Good luck !
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default Fishfinder

Jack,Wayne and Greg

I will be hitting lake erie with a 1992 thompson 240 Hardtop hopefully next yr 2012.. Just bought the boat this fall, having some upgrades done as we speak. Trim tabs, epoxy floor with wash down, 2200 gpm bilge with alarm, 5yr bottom paint with some other extras.

Been reading alot on the Lowrance HDS systems. LSS-1 add on also. I see where Lowrance has a dvd to help you with learning curve.

What i can gather is the hds model whether it be the 8 or 10 in screen they are the same as far as functions.

I think they all have built in gps.

My question would be what bells and whistles i need and can live without.

Just a thought on the raymarine fogging up the first hr of use. Maybe put plastic bag over unit after using it. Sounds like moisture is getting into unit, seal broken..? plastic bag and rubber band. just a thought.

Watching Pro Bass, Cabelas, and Amazon. I love Al Gore. Lol

I hope to use the boat 2-3 days a week after april 15.

Boat came with the standard black 3 or 4 in compass. But know exactly what you mean..!

I'm also in the market for a broken mid range lowrance fish finder. Thanks for the heads up.

Thank you all for the ideas and what to look for.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Ed

the seal on the raymarine is fine. not sure how it gets moisture inside. the fog would NEVER clear up to where you could see the screen at all till I took it apart and drilled some vent holes in the bottom. now it take a good hour to clear up. been like this for 2 or 3 yrs. almost did a 6,000lb truck test on that sucker. from the day I got it. it has been like that. the factory said nothing wrong with it. won't be buying raymarine again. buddy has 2 of their top of the line units on his boat. he removed on and replaced with a lowrance. he won't be buy raymarine again either. he has other problems that they say aren't there/can't fix.
    here's another spot to watch for electronic's.
    http://www.jollyannsales.com/
    and fishing stuff
    http://www.ffo-tackle.com/

Default Depth Finders

I go on cabelas web sites go to boating, then electronics pick the the unit I think I want then read the products reports that other customers rite in, there not bashfull to tell you that the unit is junk or great. Then you have some kind of idea what decision you might want to make. Good luck PAP!!!

Default Hds

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinEd View Post
    Jack,Wayne and Greg

I will be hitting lake erie with a 1992 thompson 240 Hardtop hopefully next yr 2012.. Just bought the boat this fall, having some upgrades done as we speak. Trim tabs, epoxy floor with wash down, 2200 gpm bilge with alarm, 5yr bottom paint with some other extras.

Been reading alot on the Lowrance HDS systems. LSS-1 add on also. I see where Lowrance has a dvd to help you with learning curve.

What i can gather is the hds model whether it be the 8 or 10 in screen they are the same as far as functions.

I think they all have built in gps.

My question would be what bells and whistles i need and can live without.

Just a thought on the raymarine fogging up the first hr of use. Maybe put plastic bag over unit after using it. Sounds like moisture is getting into unit, seal broken..? plastic bag and rubber band. just a thought.

Watching Pro Bass, Cabelas, and Amazon. I love Al Gore. Lol

I hope to use the boat 2-3 days a week after april 15.

Boat came with the standard black 3 or 4 in compass. But know exactly what you mean..!

I'm also in the market for a broken mid range lowrance fish finder. Thanks for the heads up.

Thank you all for the ideas and what to look for.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Ed
    The HDS options are many, speaks for the 1500 price range. I have the Serius weather option which I like but has monthly fee. I could have the sidescan but its basically a different transducer. I have the radar option but dont have a radar. I probably dont use half of the options yet. I new a guy that was a salesman for a large outdoor supply place and knew the electronics very well. He liked Lowrance and Garmin equally, but that Garmin was easier to use. Lowrance, you have to open a few windows to make a change, not easy when running in 4 ft waves. For instance when I hit the manoverboard icon, but of course nobody fell over thankfully. Lowrance gives alot for the money if you want to use all the options, but if you just want to know where you are and can see fish on the bottom, you decide. Of our 2 boats, I have Lowrance and the other is Garmin. The use of data chips ( Navionics ) is good option that Lowrance has. Pop out the Lake Erie chip and enter a Gulf of Mexico chip.
    More food for thought.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default me 2

i also have a lowrance gps fishfinder combo hds series i love it cost was high but had it 5 years with no problem. has a lot of things on it i dont use but it is fun to play with .when i bought mine i went to lowrance .com and downloaded a simulater for my model to my computer got out the owners manual and played with it over the winter. and was ready to go i use mine for fishing waypoints and the fishfinder and use the trails when trolling it is loaded with functions that i dont use