Good Day out of Sterling State Park Good Day out of Sterling State Park Good Day out of Sterling State Park Good Day out of Sterling State Park
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Day out of Sterling State Park

Went out Saturday morning. Everyone was targeting Perch, but our trip was after Walleye. Left out of Sterling State Park and headed out in front of Fermi. Hit 21 ft. of water and set lines using bottom bouncers and crawler harnesses. We weren't disappointed! We ended up with 10 very nice walleye and about a dozen nice perch as well. Got to the cleaning station at the park and everyone had coolers full of perch and were totally surprised that we had walleyes! Don't give up on the walleyes, they are coming back! Couldn't believe how fat and sassy they were, and when they hit, they fought like their life depended on it...and it did. We lost several at the boat and a few we never even saw. It was a great day to be on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

good deal, with the floating weed mats and the algae we only got 1 walleye thursday and 3 perch. trying to use boards was impossible.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Sterling Park and Fermi--we fished the Bass Islands and all around Pelee this Friday and Saturday, and perch and smallmouth was slow at best, and trolled for Walleye for 2 hrs East side of Pelee and only hook one smallmoth, good size, but I always throw smallies back.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile good job

what speed were you running at. we pick up our 3 man limit of yellow bellys in the shipping lane at the green & white

Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch, smallie,eyes

We trolled at 2.1 to 2.4 varied. Trolled whole east side of Pelee. lost a few jets when we got a little too close to 2 reefs. The small hit a Jaegar Bomb spoon, and jump twice, we lost it on second jump. Did manage one 13 inch perch in only clean water we found between Middle and North Bass, and had a run of 30 perch in little over hr but most in the 7-8 inch range in 32 ft of water--wind so light we didn't even anchor!!!. And lots of white bass. algae was tough. Hope we don't have the same issue next year-less rainfall and runoff. So where is Sterling State Park and Fermie????

Post Thanks / Like

BTW--We fished north and east side of Pelee on Thursday exclusively for smallies-only for a couple of hrs and did manage to get 3 nice smallies--threw them back of course (never have eaten one even though people tell me they are good eating). We were hoping for a little more action. Weather was perfect and I think we were only boat on the lake from 3-6 pm fishing--never even saw a boat around the whole island and only one boat perching around Ballast on way home to P-i-B.!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default state park

monroe mi. jist north a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snook View Post
    Where is Sterling Park and Fermi.
    if you zoom in below where the detroit river enters erie. you will find the "cooling tower's"... fermi and just below that you will see sterling state park. it's almost 1/2 way from the detroit river to luna pier where mich. waters end. sterling is the only ramp in that area I know of that has a fish cleaning station. which will be closing soon along with the brick bathrooms and most of the ramps will be pulled by early nov. exit off I-75 #15/dixie hwy. head east about 1 mile.
    http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14830.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

We were trolling between 1.2 and 1.6. Sterling State Park is just off I-75 in Monroe, MI. Hoping to get out again the first of next week...all depends on the weather. Commitments this weekends will keep me off the water, possibly Sunday is a possibility, but all ducks have to fall into their rows to happen. As for color of harnesses...it didnt matter much. We caught them on hammered gold, blue, chartreuse, and black. They all worked. Pretty beefy fish out there!

The weed mats made it hard to run boards, but if we went a while without a fish, we brought in the boards, cleaned off the weeds and changed colors. It was a job keeping them clean, but it was worth the work. And it is almost impossible to keep them off, you can't dodge them as they are all over the place.
    Last edited by freemanward58; 10-11-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: forgot some info