Just for fun. Rules of the road.. Just for fun. Rules of the road.. Just for fun. Rules of the road.. Just for fun. Rules of the road..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just for fun. Rules of the road..

If I am trolling north in my 30 ft sportcraft and on my port side i see a 18 ft lund is trolling east. We are on a collision course. Who has the right of way? who is the give way boat and who is the stand on boat? and why?

Default Rules of the road

As a boater you are to try to avoid collision at all times. Since the boat is on your left and that makes you on his right he has right away. But some of my customers would say BIGGER BOAT WINS.

Default really

come on CAPTBRIAN, you were tested on this.......right???

Crossing Situation
    (OAC 1501:47-2-15)
    When two power-driven vessels are crossing and risk of collision exists, the vessel which has the other on its starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.

A vessel crossing a river shall keep out of the way of a power-driven vessel ascending or descending the river.

If a vessel is on your port side and you are on a collision course, you have the right away.

Now to answer the other questions:

Stand on boat = 30ft sport
    Give Way baot = 18ft lund

Why?=

Any course correction rigt by the stand on boat will not avoid collision, and a course correction left by the stand on boat just closes the gap faster.

A simple course correction right (or slow down) by the give way boat will avoid collision.

Great answer bocajemma!!!! Any boat on your right side (starboard) HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY.. the size of the boat does not matter.. Remember this green light go, red light stop. When you approuch another vessel and you see his green light (starboard side) you have the right of way. If you see his red light (port side) he has the right of way..

Why is it that when many people get in a boat, they don't remember there are rules to follow on the lake also? Or, is it those same idiot drivers I encounter on the road also own boats? They don't know that red means stop on the streets either.

I have seen alot of people that need to read this post. I dont know how many times I have been out on the lake and had to change my course because someone has no idea of the navigation rules. Keep up the good posts and reports Skipper9!

I was always told the boat on the RIGHT has the RIGHT of way. A few people always seem to go with I have right of way no matter what.

Default rules of the road

18' lund has right of way. cause ur looking at his red lite on his starboard side.

Default long time

been fishing erie for 35 years and my rule is to avoid all the people that dont know the rules give up the right away.what really gets my sheephead is when your casting for walleye got a top of water bite and someones comes in fullblast and stops in your drift. happens a lot