29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday 29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday 29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday 29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face 29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday

My 29' Larson Cabrio sank SW of South Bass Sunday 8/21/11 around noon. All three aboard and the Beagle are fine, thanks for everyone's help especially Virginia and Columbus. I am not sure what happened, we were anchored off the back and filling the fish cooler just fine for 2 hours, (like we have many times before) one good size wave came over the swim platform. Next thing we knew, we had life jackets on and were in the water in less than 5 minutes as the engine compartment was full and boat was obviously not going to stay a float. Boat is insured. I am interested in getting picturers from all who watched and helped. Also want to know if anyone has heard of this problem with a Larson. Rescue Marine beleives we were taking in water the whole time and it is the engine hatch design as it is one peice with the upper back of the boat and has an unsealed seem / hinged connection exposed to the swim platform. I don't think we were taking in water as we would have noticed the attitude and height of the of the boat changing as we fished. Both bilge pumps were still running when they pulled it out tof the water. It was a nice day!? not rough, a few boat wakes is all. A 29' boat should be able to be anchored of the back with only three people in it in much tougher conditions. Ok Laugh! I can't believe I sunk a 29' boat!! Send pics and constructive comments to [email protected][/email]

Post Thanks / Like

Glad everyone is safe!! Boats are replaceable, loved ones aren't!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about this! I was out on the lake, but up near Middle. Didn't have the marine radio on at the time.

Lets see pictures if anyone has some

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your boat. My friend is a photographer and happened to get several pics of your boat with just the last few feet of the bow sticking up out of the water. I'll try to post them when I get off work.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like someone posted a video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ3m4ehTWSE

Post Thanks / Like

Drifter I am glad to hear that all of you are safe and OK. Boats can be replaced but lives cannot. Can't imagine what you going thru.

I see boats anchored all the time off the stern on Erie while people are perch fishing and I just shake my head. I don't care how big the boat is and how calm the water is but anchoring off the stern is a NO NO in any case period. Really not sure why people do it...maybe just easier if you don't have good access to the bow but it's a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by ReelTime; 08-22-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i watched the video and I want to know how did the guy get on the boat after it was pulled out of the water, they must have stopped. My older boat took on water when ever I anchored off of the stern, one time my boat had a considerable amount of water, it wasn't until I sold the boat and removed my fish finder and gps did i figure out where the water was coming in. the caulking fell out where the wires came through and water would come in every time a wave would hit the back, the hole was under the swim platform. I'm glad everyone is ok and thats why we carry insurance, good luck getting back on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the same thing penalty box

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like