Perch fishing friday Perch fishing friday Perch fishing friday Perch fishing friday

Default Perch fishing friday

4 of us went out fri. Morning to to perch fish and as soon as i pulled out of the channel to go to my spot that a good person told me about a month ago that i caught fish there 2 weeks ago there was about 100 boats in and around it on the se corner of kellys. The rest of the day went like that. Got a couple keepers there but alot of junk so went to shipping lane by mouse same thing, went to below green same thing boats everywere. Did people quit walleye fishing?. Marked alot of fish but very slow and only a couple keepers. Same off of stone dock. Thank you alot to the person who gave me some info on the walleye spot (you know who you are) but couldnt get my son to troll and today was about him.so went back to se corner of kellys and picked at them but they had lock jaw fri. For us. Only thing that caught fish was skipper 9 perch rig. My friend was using a speader and only caught 1 all day.
    Thanks for that rig skipper and all the good advise. Without it we probably would not have caught what we did.and my son flips out when he gets a double catch. All in all it was great weather and a fun time. Good luck out there everyone.

Default How did you do

Im not a perch fisherman yet, mostly walleye just wondering if anyone else on walleye central went out fri. Perch fishing and how did you do, or was it slow for you to. Dont want to know your spot just if they were slow fri. Or maybe i need to tweek what im doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD KARMA View Post
    Im not a perch fisherman yet, mostly walleye just wondering if anyone else on walleye central went out fri. Perch fishing and how did you do, or was it slow for you to. Dont want to know your spot just if they were slow fri. Or maybe i need to tweek what im doing.
    As in my other post we did get 3 tickets for 3 guys NW of W. Sister Friday but it took half a day. I talked to a couple of guys at cleaners who did good...but also several who did terrible. It was slow for some but we seemed to be lucky and sit down on a good spot.

One guy had two tickets for 2 people in less than 2 hours, and another guy had 36 pounds of perch but that was for a group of 20 guys for all day! That is only 5-7 fish per person. He said they moved all over. So there was a big variation.

It was a real slow bite. Got them on spreaders and also a rig with just inline sinker and a plain snelled hook below it. Key for us was right on the bottom and a real slow lift... as in agonizing slow! Watch the rod tip for slightest movement or feel for almost imperceptible weight - then hit it. Needed ESP to know there were there. Funny thing, even though the bite was non existent, they were still swallowing the hook. A light rod with a fast tip helps. A lot of guy's like short ultralights but myself, I use a 7 footer ugly stick lite pro.

Give a spot at least a half hour to get them going, but if you aren't doing anything in an hour or so, try a move. Keep moving till you find some. A move doesn't have to be cross country... sometimes even lifting the anchor and drifting a little bit is enough.

Do a search on here and also on the OGF forum for perch techniques...you will find a wealth of information and enough advice to make your head swim!

Good luck!

Default Friday 08/19

Went to B-Can on the firing range my wife and I caught 16 keepers in a little over 2 hours so we made a move to C-Can and after about 20 min. of no fish it was on, it was almost down and up with the best bite coming in the mud. Was fishing about 500 yards south of the can. Had smaller shiners and the perch seemed to like them better than the bigger ones that were mixed in. Total of 60 perch that weighed 16lbs at the cleaners. Other boats in the area were also catching at a fast pace.

Default thanks guys

thanks for the replies i can see the one constant that i dont use is fish on the bottem all the time. I mark alot of fish 3-4 foot off the bottem and try to crank up to them and every once and a wile will catch one like that but it seems everyones posts are saying they are fishing right on bottem.

I always fish right on the bottom or just a few inches off.

You can catch a lot of fish with a slack line on bottom. Just depends on the day and what the fish want.