OK, what am I doing wrong... OK, what am I doing wrong... OK, what am I doing wrong... OK, what am I doing wrong...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

sometimes there is a differance between goldies and shinners. have been out with a mixed batch before and on purpose put a goldie on one and a shinner on another and for most of the day most of the fish came up on the shinner with the goldie still there. Sometimes it does not matter. I was out last weekend with a mixed bait but mostly goldies, and the bit was up and down. Not really a bite though just noticed a little extra weight on the end of the line like this time coming off the bottom it felt like and extra sinker had been added to my line and thats all there was to let us know fish on

Dont know if this is just dumb luck or not, but last year eary in the season something swallowed one hook and i bent it a little getting out, seemed like 7-10 fish came up on the bent hook. Does hook angle matter? or was it just dumb luck?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch Rig

Here are pictures of the simple perch rig that I use. I took one on a white background and one on a black background so hopefully you can see what they look like!

Here is how I use them: As you noticed, there is a 1/2 oz sinker on the end. I don't use anything heavier unless there is a strong current. I hook my minnows twice through the side. The goal is to let this rig flutter down slowly to the bottom.

Once it hits the bottom, you want to tighten your line so that it is between tight and loose--just barely tight. I put my rod tip down towards the water. As the boat goes up and down with the waves, I move my rod tip up and down as not to disturb the rig on the bottom.

If I do not get a bite within 1 minute, I bring the rig back to the surface, check my bait and then slowly let it fall again.

Sometimes the perch suspend above the bottom so as the minnows flutter past them, they will follow the rig to the bottom to investigate. I have found that the less the rig moves, the more fish you catch.

The hooks are off the main line only about two inches. I have found that a bigger perch will suck the minnow in. But if the fish feels any kind of resistance, he will spit it back out. With such a short lead, I can hook the fish as soon as he touches it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Rigs

How much do they sell for if you buy them buy the dozen...from Uncle Ronnies Tackle Co.

Post Thanks / Like

skipper9 do you make those rigs yourself?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I taught my uncle ronnie how to tie them up.. When he lays in bed watching tv. He ties all my tackle. leaders, harnesses, perch rigs, and ect. Thats why ron calls it uncle ronnies tackle inc.. I keep him busy

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to check one out next Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Skipper, just from the technique, I think I was doing it all wrong...no wonder I didn't catch anything! I had it too high off the the bottom, I guess I tried to mimic what I did when I was ice fishing: hit the bottom and crank it up a few turns and wait. I would never have guessed you let the minnows sit directly on the bottom.

I cant wait to get back out there now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Skipper, just from the technique, I think I was doing it all wrong...no wonder I didn't catch anything! I had it too high off the the bottom, I guess I tried to mimic what I did when I was ice fishing: hit the bottom and crank it up a few turns and wait. I would never have guessed you let the minnows sit directly on the bottom.

I cant wait to get back out there now!
    Look at his rig carefully. Sinker is on the bottom and the minnows are just off the bottom in a verticle line.

Post Thanks / Like

Default perch rigs

Skipper, thanks for sharing your rig! They look like perch slayers for sure. What size are those hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    Look at his rig carefully. Sinker is on the bottom and the minnows are just off the bottom in a verticle line.
    Well I'll be...you're exactly right!