Anchor Question Anchor Question Anchor Question Anchor Question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anchor Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchor Question

Has anyone tried a waterspike anchor on lake erie for large boats? I bought a new anchor from Cabelas over the winter and it was supposed to be better than the waterspike according to the cabela people...tried it sunday in 1-2 footers Didn't work at all, even with 150 ft of line out. Read some reviews on the waterspike and it sounds good wondering if anyone has tried one on lake, or am I better off to go with the standard flute style anchor? Thanks again for the responses.

Post Thanks / Like

Go out on the internet and look at a contraption called the 'Drop n Stay'. It attaches to an anchor line and takes a lot of pull out of the line when the boat is pushed by waves. I may move 1-2 feet when a waves pushes my boat but the 'Drop n Stay' will recoil and minimize/eliminate/prevent the anchor from popping off the bottom. It's a $30.00 piece but watch the video and make your own call. It works for me and only drop 100' of line when fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the information

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have chain between the anchor and the rope this will cause the anchor to dig.. if you do have a chain make it longer and heavier. that will do the trick. By the bay the best anchor is the fortress they are not cheap but they set fast and dont let go.. I love mine..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by troy1976 View Post
    Has anyone tried a waterspike anchor on lake erie for large boats? I bought a new anchor from Cabelas over the winter and it was supposed to be better than the waterspike according to the cabela people...tried it sunday in 1-2 footers Didn't work at all, even with 150 ft of line out. Read some reviews on the waterspike and it sounds good wondering if anyone has tried one on lake, or am I better off to go with the standard flute style anchor? Thanks again for the responses.
    Do you have 5ft of chain attached the end of your rope between the anchor and the rope? It makes a world of difference. Also if it has a ring on the anchor that can slide down the anchor to help with freeing it from the bottom then you just can't give it a toss as it will turn over and the points that dig in will be pointed away from you. Try just leaveing it down slow an when it contacts the bottom you can then leave out the line alittle faster until you have some distance between the anchor and the boat then you can toss the rest of the line over. Skipper9 and I were posting at the same time and he addressed the chain..

Post Thanks / Like

I run a Delta anchor with about 10 feet of 1/2" chain connected to 1/2" 3 strand rope. As said above the chain is the key factor.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone...I do have a chain on it, though I now wonder if if isn't heavy enough. I appreciate all the comments and will figure it out. Thanks again