planer board help planer board help planer board help planer board help

Default planer board help

is there a trick to running multiple planer boards? it seems like the second board wants to track right up into the line of the first board when i try to run 2 per side. using offshore OR-12's. i would appreciate any suggestions

much easiler to set your outside board first. then the next inboard, then the next inboard etc. when resetting a board that is not the inside board. if your running mini divers or inlines or bouncers. slowly with light tension let that line/board straight out the back of your boat till you believe it will clear the inside board/boards. let it track into it's running spot and adjust it from there. if you can get out with someone who knows how to run boards or charter a learning charter you will learn more in one day then you can imagine.
    hope that helps

Arrow Inline planer boards

I run 4 boards on each side my charter boat, total 8, when I pull a board to check it for fish or weeds I just move the other boards out to fill the gap created by the board I pulled. Then when I am ready to put the board that I pulled back out I just set it too the inside of the setup, that way I don't have to worry about running into the other boards and having a big mess. I run 4 person charters at a very good price. If interested in a learning charter give me a call @ 419 376-5895, captain Gary Leach, Ohio North Coast Charters, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by percheye View Post
    I run 4 boards on each side my charter boat, total 8, when I pull a board to check it for fish or weeds I just move the other boards out to fill the gap created by the board I pulled. Then when I am ready to put the board that I pulled back out I just set it too the inside of the setup, that way I don't have to worry about running into the other boards and having a big mess. I run 4 person charters at a very good price. If interested in a learning charter give me a call @ 419 376-5895, captain Gary Leach, Ohio North Coast Charters, good luck.
    Like he said set them from outside to inside then run them in rotation. Inside boards move to the outside to fill the spot of the board you just pulled. That board becomes the inside board on the next set.

Default follow up question

I would like to ask a follow up question to the replies. I have run 4 small boards off each side before without much issues when leads are evenly spaced and the boards can be kept relatively far apart, (leads 40 foot back from the boards/each board 40 feet apart from each other using 30 jets.) In that scenario, I can understand the rotation described. But when the leads get longer, say 70 feet back and the boards are only 40 feet apart, how do you keep the lines from tangling when checking an outside board or on a turn? I run everything through the middle when letting the boards out, but can't seem to get them back without tangles. Thanks.

Default tru trip jets

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee35 View Post
    I would like to ask a follow up question to the replies. I have run 4 small boards off each side before without much issues when leads are evenly spaced and the boards can be kept relatively far apart, (leads 40 foot back from the boards/each board 40 feet apart from each other using 30 jets.) In that scenario, I can understand the rotation described. But when the leads get longer, say 70 feet back and the boards are only 40 feet apart, how do you keep the lines from tangling when checking an outside board or on a turn? I run everything through the middle when letting the boards out, but can't seem to get them back without tangles. Thanks.
    Have you tried the tru trip jets? They allow the diver to be released when a fish is hooked or when you give a firm pull which in turn allows the line to surface. The other lines you have out will continue to dive allowing the line you are bringing in to pass over them on the retrieve.

Default follow up question

for me I prefer to set my boards back into the spot from which they came as I can keep my deep lines closer to the boat. with the jets, since they float like cranks on a loose line, very easy to run straight out the back of the boat far enough to swing the board back into position. but if you get a fish on another rod while letting one out the back I bring it back in if it can't get moved out of the way fast enough.

Arrow Inline planer boards

I have my boards set up so that the front clip will release when a big enough fish takes the lure or I can trip it by hand, this causes the board to flip around on the rear clip. When it is on the rear clip the board automaticaly stops pulling away from the boat and swings in behind my boat where it can be retrived between the port and starboard setups. The only time I have problems are when customers get excited and do not wait for the board to fully fall behind the boat resulting in the diver and lure being pulled into the lines that are inside of it on the setup, letting the board come all the way around behind the boat and keeping the line tight are two of the most important details of getting the fish into the net without a tangle or losing the fish because of a slack line. GOOD LUCK