Saturday 6/25 report 2 men Saturday 6/25 report 2 men Saturday 6/25 report 2 men Saturday 6/25 report 2 men
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday 6/25 report 2 men

Made the drive later than normal hoping the waves would lay down by the time we arrived. Got to the lake and was fishing D can Crib reef area by 2:00. Waves were 3 to 4's when we started so we drift fished bottom bouncers with boards, first time I've ever tried that, and targeted 15 ft. Caught 2 right away on dark purple blades and thought it was on. Wind died and fish shut down. We started trolling and managed to slow pick 3 more fish in the 21 to 24 inch range on spoons Jager Bomb and Pooh Bear Purple trolling jet 40's 30 to 35 back fishing Niagra to Crib reef in 21 to 25 fow. We fish until after dark and planned to sleep on the boat and try it again in the morning. On the run back to Catawba we hit the mayflies......man did we hit the mayflies. The boat was completely covered and there was no way we were going to be able to sleep on the boat. Loaded the boat and made the 2 1/2 hour drive back home. I think the big mayfly hatch could be what shut em down. Aside from the mayflies it was a beautiful afternoon and evening on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

nice post eyecrazy, appreciate the detail and input. hopefully gonna try that area mid-week. we had a similar experience with mayflies 2-3 years ago....running back from the firing range, just after sunset. absolute blanket of mayflies, couldn't even see. the only way we could see was to turn our running lights off for like 5 second intervals to reduce glare. word of advice....if you want to get stopped and boarded by the coast guard, flick your running lights on and off haha. what an experience that was getting searched by the coast guard at 11PM in a storm of mayflies

Post Thanks / Like

Large mayfly hatch 4 nights in a row last week, they are behind schedule also this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Default mayflies

I live in Hilliard and the birds are loving all the mayflies I brought back for them. I left the boat outside until this evening so they had a chance to fly and all the birds around the house are in heaven. But I feel fortunate compared to Ryguy, I can't imagine going through a coast guard check during that swarm.

Thanks for the kind words Ryguy, I'm not an expert like many of these guys but I will try to help all I can.

Tight lines men......and blue eyes....lol.