planer board help planer board help planer board help planer board help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default planer board help

Any pointers on how to tune in big boards. My boards don't pull the line very tight, they work well in calm water but any waves over 2 feet they move around alot.

Blog Entries

Here's how I set mine up added two 1lbs weights to the inside of each board near the bottom. To make sure the weight was even I set them in the water at the dock layed the weights on top of the boards and moved them around to make sure they were balanced. I maked the location and them moved them down to the bottom and attached them with screws.

dave, I have a set you can copy and give back to me they are the hardest pulling boards you will find.. You will be happy with the performance of the board except the pull in.. but you can almost do a u turn with them..

thanks Jim I might take you up on that, for now I'm going to weight them down and move the eyelet location. when I was drift fishing several weeks ago the charters that went by their boards were almost under the water. mine are pretty boyant.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    dave, I have a set you can copy and give back to me they are the hardest pulling boards you will find.. You will be happy with the performance of the board except the pull in.. but you can almost do a u turn with them..
    I'd be interested in seeing a few pictures and/or plans for those boards myself.

Reeltime, If you want to borrow them to test and copy let me know. I can make you a set at my cost with the weights on them for around $150 or you can make them yourself It doesn't matter to me. Each board weighs 17 pounds. these are the boards that all the most of the major charters run they have been. They have a rudder on them that prevents them from ever flipping to the other side of the boat. They pull so hard you can run 8 50 jets with out u-ing. But they are a challange to get back in at the end of the day but worth the extra effort. Kevin "fish tales" could you post a picture of them I cant post pic off my phone

Blog Entries

I don’t have a picture of them but I can take one this weekend and post it. Jim’s correct about retrieving them you’ll have arms like Popeye by the end of the summer unless you have power reels.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    Reeltime, If you want to borrow them to test and copy let me know. I can make you a set at my cost with the weights on them for around $150 or you can make them yourself It doesn't matter to me. Each board weighs 17 pounds. these are the boards that all the most of the major charters run they have been. They have a rudder on them that prevents them from ever flipping to the other side of the boat. They pull so hard you can run 8 50 jets with out u-ing. But they are a challange to get back in at the end of the day but worth the extra effort. Kevin "fish tales" could you post a picture of them I cant post pic off my phone
    Skipper thanks for the offer. I live 25 miles north of Cincinnati so not sure how I could borrow them that's why I wondered if you had pictures and/or dimensions. I have a set that I made out of Azek material like the Amish planer boards but have never fished with them. I ran them once on a test but need to tweak them a bit to get them to pull harder. Since then I've been running inlines. I mainly pull cranks but seems like the spoon bite has been really hot this year and I really don't like how the inline boards pull with jets behind them. So thinking about running some big boards. I have Big Jon reels with Amish planer line and snubbers and a bunch of releases.

Here is a picture of my Azek boards that I made.

Quote Originally Posted by penalty box View Post
    thanks Jim I might take you up on that, for now I'm going to weight them down and move the eyelet location. when I was drift fishing several weeks ago the charters that went by their boards were almost under the water. mine are pretty boyant.
    The power of the planer is dependent upon a few things. The more surface area underwater for the water to push against, the more power the board will have. 6" under water is 2 times as powerful as 3" under water. The less likely the planer is to skip or tip toward the boat, the more power it will have. Weighting here helps with tipping, skipping, and the amount of the planer under water. The pull point sets the angle against the flow of the water. Tinker with that and you will find a sweet spot. I have some, that as another post stated, will pull the boat around pretty good when you retrieve them.

Reeltime, I have a house on the east side of columbus. Do you think you could pick them up their?