planer board help planer board help planer board help planer board help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

You get it figured out Reeltime, then you can help me get my boat set up to troll lol. I need to get into the trolling scene but I need to get some railing installed on the back of the boat for the rod holders then I can get the planer boards figured out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    Reeltime, I have a house on the east side of columbus. Do you think you could pick them up their?
    Yeah I could probably do that. Are your boards made out of wood? I have heard that the Amish Azek boards pull very hard...as hard as any so that's what I was trying to duplicate. I think I just need to play around with the hole location of the pulling eye to get em to run right. My boards are 1" x 10" x 36".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ReelTime,

I made a set of boards Skipper 9 was kind enough to let me try his spare set and I made a copy with one small change so they fold up. They are cedar 1x8x42 and they pull hard I can run 4 50' jets on one side and the tow line stays out of the water.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    ReelTime,

I made a set of boards Skipper 9 was kind enough to let me try his spare set and I made a copy with one small change so they fold up. They are cedar 1x8x42 and they pull hard I can run 4 50' jets on one side and the tow line stays out of the water.

Kevin
    All I really need is the location of the hole that mounts the pulling eye. Think mine is too far forward and up too high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ReelTime,

I think what your going to find is your boards need tuned to your boat. Fishermans Warf in Port Clinton has the Amish boards on hand stop by with a tape meassure and check them out.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Tried my boards yesterday at a local lake close to home. Moved the hole back a bit and they rean really good. Caught a 16" largemouth while trolling.

I have a couple questions in regards to releases and rubber bands. Seems most guys use the small red rubber bands attached to their line to the release. What's the advantage of adding the rubber band? When you bring the fish in do you have to take the rubber band off the line so it doesnt get spooled up in the reel? And last...what exact rubber band do you use and where to get them?

Also, here are the boards now. Painted the top orange so they show up better. I want to add a flag on top also. Where do you guys get your flags?
    Last edited by ReelTime; 06-13-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    Tried my boards yesterday at a local lake close to home. Moved the hole back a bit and they rean really good. Caught a 16" largemouth while trolling.

I have a couple questions in regards to releases and rubber bands. Seems most guys use the small red rubber bands attached to their line to the release. What's the advantage of adding the rubber band? When you bring the fish in do you have to take the rubber band off the line so it doesnt get spooled up in the reel? And last...what exact rubber band do you use and where to get them?

Also, here are the boards now. Painted the top orange so they show up better. I want to add a flag on top also. Where do you guys get your flags?
    I leave it on the line when I use the big boards and reuse it, I only replace it when it gets bad or at the end of the day or if changing leads. But I also make my own releases. I use the old type shower curtain hooks and a plastic cloths pin with the rubber band. I can't remember which is which but I use either red or blue depending on the water conditions, one will work both in calm and rough seas but better in rough seas and the the other I use only in calm seas as it won't hold in heavier seas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post

I use bike saftey flags on mine.