Speed gps? Speed gps? Speed gps? Speed gps?

Thread: Speed gps?

40 year erie newbie Guest

Default Speed gps?

My speedo wheel was smashed, I ordered a new one but I was wondering if anyone knew if I can use gps speed and if there was any "rule of thumb"
    I know sat speed and water speed are different, but I hate to miss out on good fishing time...heh, Thanks

Speed is 2mph on boat and gps is around 1.5 1.6 . good fishing!!

Quote Originally Posted by lundyeye View Post
    Speed is 2mph on boat and gps is around 1.5 1.6 . good fishing!!
    That's a very inaccurate statement. That should only happen if you are trolling into the surface current. I always use GPS speed. If anything paddle wheels are way less accurate as so many variables can affect them (surface current, wave, turbulance from boat/prop, etc.). Let's not forget that surface water speed can be different than the lure water speed due to underwater currents. Your GPS speed gives you speed over ground and the newer units are quite accurate. Depending on the speed of the current and your direction of troll (with current, against current, waves, etc.) will determine the actual lure speed. Unless you are using an under water speed sensor at the depth you are trolling it's just a guessing game for actual lure speed. Judge your speed by the normal bend in your rods and by what the fish tell you.

40 year erie newbie Guest

Thanks for the replys guys, just wanted to make sure we werent just wasting gas, just got back into the game, gps was fairly new (to the average consumer) the last time I had a boat, done pretty good the last week trolling with hot n tots (rainbow the best) and stingers (purple/chrome) behind otter boats...Was always a guessing game on speed anyway, 1.5 up to 3.0, I need to get into the jets and divers but don,t have any experience with them as yet....Thanks again and Happy Fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by bocajemma View Post
    That's a very inaccurate statement. That should only happen if you are trolling into the surface current. I always use GPS speed. If anything paddle wheels are way less accurate as so many variables can affect them (surface current, wave, turbulance from boat/prop, etc.). Let's not forget that surface water speed can be different than the lure water speed due to underwater currents. Your GPS speed gives you speed over ground and the newer units are quite accurate. Depending on the speed of the current and your direction of troll (with current, against current, waves, etc.) will determine the actual lure speed. Unless you are using an under water speed sensor at the depth you are trolling it's just a guessing game for actual lure speed. Judge your speed by the normal bend in your rods and by what the fish tell you.
    Very well said!!!