Leads Leads Leads Leads

Thread: Leads

Blog Entries

Default Leads

I'm wondering what type of leads the trollers are using with jets and spoons. I'm running 6' leads 30# test I can't help but think my leads are the problem should they be 20# floro?

Default depth and speed

I run 20# fluro, but I highly doubt running 30# is your issue. To help you further we need some more info on your set up, but my first guess without knowing any other factors is your depth and speed. What size jets, spoons, what is your line from pole to jet, are you running boards, etc...

Smile leads

if you are fishing around west sister or maumee river area, what working for us is 30 jets, 14 lb line or 30 lb pro line on reels,
    85 ft. back with 6 ft. leads with 12 or 20 lb. test, or 40 jets with 50 ft. back with same leads, if fish move up higher in water, just shorten leads back from reel, purple stingers or blades are a must. hope this helps, Capt. Mike, speed is 2.2

Blog Entries

I'm running big boards all rods are the same and the reels are okuma 30dx. Using the 40' true trips jets with Michigan stinger scorpion spoons I'm running 20-50 leads to the jets speeds 1.7 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.4 knots.

I don't run big boards, but my guess is that you aren't accounting for the height of the tow line with your depths. I assume with the 40 jets back 50' you are trying to achieve 20' of depth. If your tow line for your big boards is 5' above the water you need to account for that extra height on your let back. You may think you are fishing at 20', but probably are fishing closer to 15'. Someone with big board experience can chime in, but that's my best guess. I would add 10'-20' more on your let back length for your desired depths.