Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report
Page 37 of 59 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Default Monday August 20th 30 more G can yellow perch

30 more yellow perch, 5 hours and had to work for them.
    20 fow south of G can , 3 young walleye (returned unhurt)
    8 throw back yellow perch, 2 white perch and 3 sheep head.
    much nicer on the lake today with an easterly wind
    ran out of golden shiners so used some night crawlers to finish the 30
    the keeper perch are nice size
    Water Dogs~ Perch Report-img_0462-jpg
    More boats were to my west about a mile, they may have had a quicker bite than me because they thinned out before noon.(or not?)
    ~Water Dog

Default Gut pile results ~ yellow perch (Tuesday August 21st)

cleaned my last catch of yellow gold, and the results are; spiney fleas and some gobies.
    these perch belly's are full of those things.
    most if not all were full of the fleas, with some of the perch having both.
    back at it soon, hope the storms today did not move the schools.
    Get out and get some "yellow fatties".
    Fish On!
    Water Dog

So Water Dog has Water Fleas..... Ha, no offense, just couldn't resist that one.

Think you are right. Hope those suckers don't shut down the bite. Last year that happened about his time if I remember. Good catches in August and then we struggled with half limits much of September. Need to figure out how to mimick those things with a hook and fish on the bottom. Oh for the old days where they would come up and hammer your bait...

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Spiny Water Fleas

Water Dogs, when you get a chance please take a good photo (if you can) of the spiny water fleas you are finding in the stomachs of Yellow Perch and post it on this thread. Lots of people would probably like to see what they look like coming from the perch. It would be helpful if others would also check for them, so we can get an idea of where they are in the Lake. See if perch caught in various locations are also eating them. Good info for perch fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Water Dogs, when you get a chance please take a good photo (if you can) of the spiny water fleas you are finding in the stomachs of Yellow Perch and post it on this thread. Lots of people would probably like to see what they look like coming from the perch. It would be helpful if others would also check for them, so we can get an idea of where they are in the Lake. See if perch caught in various locations are also eating them. Good info for perch fishing.
    I can tell you where some were two weeks ago. A few miles out from Cedar Point we were trolling for walleye and our lines collected bunches of them moving through the water. Funny looking little buggers. I'm guessing the two little black dots were eyes? The perch we caught out by middle the week before were also full of them.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Default spiny water fleas and gobies (source: from a post last year in this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Water Dogs~ Perch Report-img_0330-jpg
    here is a photo taken and posted in this thread about a year ago;
    the spiny fleas are small, and have two black eyes, better photos can be found by searching the internet, the ones on the lower right have been mushed in the stomach but you can still see some features.
    the white piece is a growth I cut off a sheep head (looks like chewed gum) and was eaten by this perch~!
    I will try to get a close up photo the next time I clean some Yellow Gold.
    See a slight wiggly, Set That Hook, and Fish ON~
    Water Dog

Super pic. Interesting, I think I see maybe 3 waterflees, one shiner, one either shiner or maybe goby, and also a small zebra mussle. That Yellow Gold is a health nut and eating from all the food groups!

Curious...at the first quick "there and gone" tap, are you setting the hook on the slack line or waiting to feel the next tap? Seems like there has been a lot of one and done, quick here and gone hits this year. Normally can do a slow lift and feel them there but not this year.

Blog Entries

Default Perch minnows

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    Caught 30 perch in 30 fow using a spreader,on the bottom,with minnows and no bling.(in never use bling)
    I was east of Niagara away from the pack of trollers. (alot of trollers too!)
    Caught a 22 inch walleye on a spreader too!
    About a dozen sheep head and some white perch too.
    The perch weight was 8 pounds at the cleaners. (uncleaned weight)
    The waves were not the 2 foot or less as they called for, more like 1-3 and then a 2-4 every now and then.
    Still, was a good day on the lake and I did not seem to mind because I was catching fish!
    None talks about the types of minnows they use and Ive heard that shiners are hard to com by and expensive.
    I want to get feed back for those of you that have used fathead minnows. did they work the same as shiners ??
    Thanks guys

Default G can stuggles ~ yellow perch where did they go?

Friday & Monday marks

Water Dogs~ Perch Report-friday-8-24-18-jpgWater Dogs~ Perch Report-monday-8-27-18-jpg
    (those green blotches usually mark some good fishing)

South of G can has not been producing like it has been. Could be those storms that moved through the area.
    Out several times and could only manage 8 yellow perch and 14 the next trip.
    I think the weather may have been a factor, and I plan to try H can the next time out.
    D can is an option too. Word at the docks is everyone is trying to find the fish.
    Have been catching some small yellow perch, sheep head and some young walleye (returned unharmed).
    Good to see those young fish.
    ~back at it soon~
    Water Dog

Default H can today and still not much going on

5 yellow perch, 2 gobies, 4 sheep head and a white bass.
    some small perch throwbacks.
    Just east of H can , will try again soon.
    Got a late start and only fished for 3 hours.
    It was windy~bouncy and had to deal with a big swing.
    And it was very warm.
    back at it soon,
    Water Dog
    < every dog has its day(s) >

Tuesday August 28th