Trolling speeds Trolling speeds Trolling speeds Trolling speeds
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trolling speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling speeds

Hey guys, im a caster by heart, but when i the bite stops i will troll....can anyone give me an idea at what speed i should be trollin at? I just bought some jet 30's ans stinger spoons....ant help would be great.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule of thumb, I like to stay around 1.7 and zig zag. I've only been trolling for 5 years, I'm sure there are others with a lot of info if they choose to share. The site is getting better and better with knowledgeable fisherman helping us out Thx

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling speed

1.7 is a good speed to start . but do not be afraid to speed up the water is warming up and the speed does go up . when I troll I try from 1.7 all the way to 2.5 . also I will troll at one speed for a while and just slow down for a 100 yards or so then speed back up just too change the lure action. GOOD LUCK.

TIME TO PUT SOME FISH IN THE BOAT.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leader length?

Another trolling question...... How far behind the jets do you guys recommend putting your bait? 3-4ft? Longer? Just never trolled and need all the help i can get lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling speed

I run my lines after the jets or dipsey no longer than my rods but atleast 6 feet do you run mono or braid if you use braid you need to run snubbers right after your jets or dipseys or you will pull the hooks out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default planer boards

What brand are the small individual orange boards I see alot of you guys running?

Post Thanks / Like

i use mono, but thats a great point! never thought of that. thanks kick it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default lead length

Been running 5' leads,but been hearing some guys running longer and doing better, 7'., just harder to net the fish with long leads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kick it up a notch View Post
    I run my lines after the jets or dipsey no longer than my rods but atleast 6 feet do you run mono or braid if you use braid you need to run snubbers right after your jets or dipseys or you will pull the hooks out.
    My harness lenght is about 60" I have found it to difficult to net fish when using longer harnesses mostly because I fish by myself alot and cannot manuver the fish into position to net with those longer leaders.
    I run braid and have never ran a snubber in the 7 years that I have used it. Most fish (99%) come unbuttoned right at the boat. There is at least 20 foot of slack in the line when you consider that those small boards are nothing more than a big bobber that also positions your line away from the boat. Watch them go backwards when you get a fish on, there is alot of extra line relief in that boards ability to slide back in the water acting like a big bobber than in a rod in a rod holder that is already partly loaded with the weight of the lure and diver. When I flatline out the corners of the boat I back the drag off to about half of what I normally run. Alot of those lost fish are caused by eyecrossing hook sets that are totally unneeded with braided line, those fish normally hook themself while trolling. Now Steelhead , that would be another story. Have any of you considered how much the added weight of those snubbers affects the dive curve of a jet diver, most weigh an ounce or more.

Dipsey divers are different story as they put a heavy load on the rod as they are hard pulling, it takes a pretty good tug to get them to release, so snubbers would probably be a good idea with dipsey divers.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-02-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: more info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    What brand are the small individual orange boards I see alot of you guys running?
    They are probably Churches tackle as they make alot of orange boards.