Perch? Or walleye? Maumee Bay. Perch? Or walleye? Maumee Bay. Perch? Or walleye? Maumee Bay. Perch? Or walleye? Maumee Bay.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch? Or walleye? Maumee Bay.

Hello, I am new to fishing lake erie. I am going out this saturday in maumee bay, launching from cullen park. I usually dont travel too far past turtle island, as my boat is only 17 foot. It is a regal valanti 170.

Are the walleye or perch biting better in that area? Any recommendations on spot?
    Last edited by ryanr623; 05-19-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile maumee bay fish

last sat. we found a large school of walleyes in 31 to 34 ft.
    of water in the channel, right by the green and white bouy,
    most marks we saw all season, water is soild mud, try everything could not get them to go, sheephead, whitebass,
    white perch all you want ,no walleyes
    Capt. mike reel sport charters.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... To be honest I really just like catching fish, no matter what they are. Of course perch and walleye would be number one priority

So white bass are hitting pretty good in the bay then eh? Might just put on a minnow spreader and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile maumee bay

the area all around the green and white boouy is loaded with
    fish , some walleye marks in shallow water, lots of walleye
    marks in deep water inside the channel, from bouy to the pear
    there a mixed bag of white bass, white perch and sheephead,
    that will hit jigs, or worm harness. Capt Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Do you slow bottom bounce when you use erie dearies?

Post Thanks / Like

You could use a weight forward spinner(erie deerie) along the bottom.. But normally you would use them to target suspended fish on a count and swing approuch.. if your boat drifts sideways in the waves you would cast your line out to the back of your boat and as soon as it hits the water you take your slack out of the line and count.. one thousand one, one thousand two, ect.. where ever you mark fish at.. If the fish are suspended at 15 ft. a erie deerie drops somewhere about one and a half feet per second.. I usually start 3 foot above the fish and work my way to them.. so if they where at 15 foot I would do a 8 count.. Alot of them time they hit on the way down be ready.. if not slow reel in to the boat and retry.. remember your last count and dupplicate your last cast over and over again.. good luck..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    You could use a weight forward spinner(erie deerie) along the bottom.. But normally you would use them to target suspended fish on a count and swing approuch.. if your boat drifts sideways in the waves you would cast your line out to the back of your boat and as soon as it hits the water you take your slack out of the line and count.. one thousand one, one thousand two, ect.. where ever you mark fish at.. If the fish are suspended at 15 ft. a erie deerie drops somewhere about one and a half feet per second.. I usually start 3 foot above the fish and work my way to them.. so if they where at 15 foot I would do a 8 count.. Alot of them time they hit on the way down be ready.. if not slow reel in to the boat and retry.. remember your last count and dupplicate your last cast over and over again.. good luck..
    Hey thanks! Everytime ive fished on erie as a kid, we used ere dearies, so thats all i know. We would cast, let it sink...... pull back on the rod a couple feet, then let it sink again while reeling in slowly. do it over and over again till it reached the boat. Worked pretty good for us usually.... but its been a while. And ive always fished port clinton, never maumee bay.

Hows maumee bay out to turtle island doing right now? I was thinking 20ft-30ft of water, in the channel.