Kelley's Island Kelley's Island Kelley's Island Kelley's Island
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelley's Island

Default Kelley's Island

Headed to Kelly's Island on the 18th. We're going to stay on the island from May 19th through the 27th. We went a week earlier last year and the fishing was just average. I've been reading alot of posts and doesn't sound real good. Looking for any advice, where to fish, what seems to be the go to color or lure. We have always just pulled harnesses. Any help would be much apprecaited. Thanks in advance.

We just got back from 3 days of fishing. Didn't get one. The fishing is terrible. We heard rumors the walleye have a virus and are dying. We marked fish but they were all suspended and wouldn't bite. If in fact there is a walleye virus they are sick and won't bite. I've heard reports of 1000's of walleye washing up on the banks. Who knows how many are on the bottom dead. It doesn't look good.

IDK some fish are being caught, I noticed a decline last year too. Is it a trend of times to come? The smallmouth and walleye we caught were very healthy but too few in between bites. I'm scheduled to come back June 1st but I'm on the fence and will wait to see if better reports show up in the following weeks. I know a decline of walleye will devastate the businesses and people that rely on fisherman like me.

Well, it has been slower than recent years, but fish are being caught. The water betwee upper and middle bass has some nice fish in it. You may have to adjust your patterns though. We ran quite a bit of meat with little luck. Once we moved over to reef runners (whites, and browns/Copperhead) with 2 oz snapweights 5 feet in front, about 50 to 70 behind the board. You may have to adjust to find the bottom, but you should be about 1 off. Those high column fish seem like they are just confused; drunk on mud or something.

That's not good. I hope that the fishing picks up anytime. Still looking foward to making the trip. I've never heard of a virus that kills Walleyes. I will have to look it up. I have read other posts stating there were dead walleyes along the shores, I surely hope something like that is only hearsay. Thanks for the replies hope to catch some fish will post again when I get back.

We were told about 40% are healthy enough to eat or chase prey. The others have been slowly dying. We talked to a charter captain and he knows a diver that was out on the reefs looking around and he came across more dead walleye that were on the bottom. Here's a link to something i found. http://outdoornews.com/news/article_...cc4c002e0.html

Default fish kill

I have seen fish kills before. What you see on top is a minute percentage of actual kill. Most are on the bottom. I am worried about this one...its bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tbiser View Post
    We were told about 40% are healthy enough to eat or chase prey. The others have been slowly dying. We talked to a charter captain and he knows a diver that was out on the reefs looking around and he came across more dead walleye that were on the bottom. Here's a link to something i found. http://outdoornews.com/news/article_...cc4c002e0.html
    Just was wondering if the author of the article alluded in the Outdoor News graduated from the same school or schools as the experts who posted these comments about the fish kill in the links that I have posted. These are the people who study Lake Erie for a living and love the lake. They do not need to make a name for themselves or write articles that play on the sportsmans emotions and fears just to sell newspapers. I will put my money on the Ohio Sea Grant team every time over top of an Outdoors news writers stories and opinions when it comes to the truth about the Lake!!

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...767223570b44ff

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...767223570b44ff

I hope someone gets the test completed soon so something can be done to rescue the fishery if needed. The way to much at stake for Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by tbiser View Post
    I hope someone gets the test completed soon so something can be done to rescue the fishery if needed. The way to much at stake for Ohio.
    I agree, but if it is an infection either bacteria or virus then there is nothing that can be done except letting nature run its course. I will wait untill the test results are in and I am hoping it turns out to be spawning stress related. One thing in our favor with this thing is that the catch rate this spring during the jig bite was no where near what it has been in the past, can't remember the exact figure but think the catch last year was around 200,000 fish during the spawn with 10% of those being females, the catch most likely was not even 25% of that this year. It appears that most of the dead walleyes are males and the females fared much better through this. That is one reason they feel it is most likely post spawn stress related as the females head out once the eggs are dropped but like all males, walleye males hang around for that final fling in the hay which very well could have cost them their live's.