22-23 April 22-23 April 22-23 April 22-23 April
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22-23 April

jlg Guest

Default 22-23 April

was thinking of coming up 22/23 april but can someone help me and tell me if it would be wise for a 5+hr trip with the conditions to jig for walleyes?

thx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing is Fun, but playing in the mud is not

JLG,
    I have fished the last 2 weekends and fished last Saturday on a Charter, and it was very muddy, of the fish caught, they seemed to be snagged (including our 3)... its very tough right now with the wind, rain, and water conditions... but if you are driving 5+ hours, I am afraid that you may not enjoy it. I wish I could paint a better picture, but if you could change the date, you may want to look at that.. but I do not want to discourage anyone from going fishing... that is the beauty of fishing.. you might find the diamond in the rough... the hard part about the forecast is that at times they are wrong.. the lake was fishable this past Saturday(windwise), but the day before and after that was not... plus a small 14' boat tipped over from the waves and folks died... so nothing to take lightly, especially in the cold water.... I am with you, want to get in on the action of the jig bite, but this year has been TOUGH... and with the colder weather, it might still happen... last year, we jigged through the first week of May and did our best (plus the limit goes up to 6)... so whether you go or delay, always be safe out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default weather report not good

JLG...We have had our boat in at Fenwicks for a week now and have only managed 4 to 5 hrs of fishing. I only live 45 minutes away and won"t take the chance till this weather settles. Being retired I can pick and choose my days and I know things will get better. This is the first year we have made an effort to fish the jig bite,renting a dock at Fenwick for a month or so before moving to Midway on west harbour for the rest of the season. Like they say you can pick the days but not the weather. Better to be safe and not sorry. I have fished that lake for over 50 years and I have learned alot. Better days to come. Skinny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GANGWest View Post
    JLG,
    I have fished the last 2 weekends and fished last Saturday on a Charter, and it was very muddy, of the fish caught, they seemed to be snagged (including our 3)... its very tough right now with the wind, rain, and water conditions... but if you are driving 5+ hours, I am afraid that you may not enjoy it. I wish I could paint a better picture, but if you could change the date, you may want to look at that.. but I do not want to discourage anyone from going fishing... that is the beauty of fishing.. you might find the diamond in the rough... the hard part about the forecast is that at times they are wrong.. the lake was fishable this past Saturday(windwise), but the day before and after that was not... plus a small 14' boat tipped over from the waves and folks died... so nothing to take lightly, especially in the cold water.... I am with you, want to get in on the action of the jig bite, but this year has been TOUGH... and with the colder weather, it might still happen... last year, we jigged through the first week of May and did our best (plus the limit goes up to 6)... so whether you go or delay, always be safe out there.
    When did that boat flip and where ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Go-time reply

Sorry for mistating - I was listening to the radio and thought I heard the story correctly. I thought they had mentioned Lake Erie and a 14 foot boat. So I did some research and it was actually at a Reservoir, not on Erie... the cause was the strong winds.. and they didn't have life jackets on.. so sad.

jlg Guest

Thanks to all for some insight. I have a charter booked for 22/23 for wife and i and need to make a last minute decison on Weds evening so this helps. My captain indicated we should talk Weds to decide and maybe see if any alternatives. he seems to be interested in insuring I have a good trip and also indicated yesterday water is muddiest he has ever seen for this time of year and fishing is poor at best so i appreciate his customer service and truthfull insight. This is our first trip ever for erie eyes and part of the goal is to determine if it is something I want to plan for (buying a new boat as soon as I sell my current boat) in retirement which is only a few years away. The boat capsize and fatalities you are talking about I beleive was on MJ Kirwin also known as West Branch St. Park. Very sad story and everyone needs to think safety and wear a PFD espeicially in small boats and during cold weather/rough conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea its bad.. I have already cancelled all charters till next friday. Not a good weekend to come..

Post Thanks / Like

Default watching and waiting

I canceled vacation and am hoping for next week but still don't see promising weather. I live in Kentucky and have already tried those not good weather trips before. Not worth it. Drove up one time and got skunked. Took a while to get over that one. I just hope this weather pattern changes soon.I got the fever bad.

onetrack

Post Thanks / Like

At least there are some good Charters up there. We had an awful experience with Seabreeze earlier this year. Bad weather was in the forecast and we were told by them that everything would be fine by Cpt Bob the day before (one of many calls we made to make sure we didn't waste a trip). Needless to say we woke up to thunderstorms that morning, caught three fish in 7 hours and our captain told us that we should really call before making the trip next time. After e-mailing them and never getting a response back, I will never be on another one of their boats. I will be contacting J and J or another Charter next time we head up. I want to be on a boat where somebody cares that you have a good experience, not just that they get their money.

Post Thanks / Like

Skipper 9 based on water temps and hopefully better weather next weekend do you think the jig bite will still be an option or moving out to harnesses and trolling. Coming up to fish the 1st and am wondering what methods to plan on.

Thanks
    Doug