Looking for some help Looking for some help Looking for some help Looking for some help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for some help

I am new to these boards, i have been on the fishusa boards for awhile. i just got a boat that is erie ready and i plan to be heading up that way sometime in the middle of may. I have been on erie many times with my father and grandfather, but now i get to play the captain and i am taking a couple of my walleye friends. i am looking for some advice as to where to start what to use. i have 5 very detailed maps of the lake with gps points. i am prepared tackle wise i believe. i will be staying in the port clinton area. i know there are some very knowledged ppl on these boards after reading past post. so i am hoping i get the chance to learn from you guys.
    thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default correct

Sounds like the way I started a couple years ago. This is a good place to learn some hot spots, techniques that are working, and most of all people that are fishing on the water with you in the area. Some captins post couple times a week. Look for skipper9. Hes not afraid to tell you everything he knows. I like this site, especially with our lovely gas prices, now if we can get the weather to stabilize- somthin fishy

Post Thanks / Like

thats good to know. and yea i sure hope the weather decides what it is going to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ron.. Middle of May? Their should be plenty of action and places to catch'em.. Are you casting or trolling? What kind of tackle do you plan on using? worm harneses, forward weight spinners or ect. I am sure that as a group we will get you on the fish.. I know I will try to be as helpful as I can..

Post Thanks / Like

thanks skipper i really appriciate it. i have mainly harnesess and trolling gear i do not have anything in a spinner. i was thinking about drifting and casting. i also make my own jigs so i would like to try some of them up there as well

Post Thanks / Like

Thats Great.. Re you using in line boards or big boards? By the middle of may the water temp will be above 55 degrees. So most trollers will be using jets and spoons. I prefer michigan stingers and scorpions. I usually put out 50/50 and see what they want.. When I am casting I usually cast worm harnesses off one side of the boat and bottom bouncers off the other side under the boat like a 3 oz. Oh well give me a call if you want to talk fishing.. 614.327.7144 thks

Post Thanks / Like

i would use big boards if i was trolling and probably drop something off the downriggers as well. First thing i need to do is get a half decent fishfinder for my boat. i just got it, it is used but new to me and it didnt have a fishfinder so that is the first thing. but i wil def call you when i get up there i am trying to learn as much as i can about the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile fishfinder

Eye, when looking for a fishfinder it is a MUST to have GPS on Lake Erie. For a variety of reasons from safety to marking where the fish are. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mapping GPS

I agree with Jig, but to be a little more specific, a mapping GPS is the only way to go. One where you can put a navionics chip in so everything on Erie is right in front of you on the map. Then, everytime you catch a fish, mark the spot and it is a piece of cake to find and hit the same spots over again. I bought a humminbird a couple years ago with the chip it was about $900. They are probably cheaper now but you could spend several thousands if you want. This is a must have for Erie.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree, a GPS with the mapping chip is awesome. Last year was the first year that I had it, and what a difference. We used it last week to make drifts over Niagra Reef. You could really get a good drift line over the edges, and when we caught two on the first drift, we could go back to the exact spot that we started and do it again. I'm much more aware now of a few shallow spots that could really cause some damage to the boat if the water levels ever drop. The first time I ever saw one of these in action was on a charter and a heavy fog settled in while we were out. You couldn't see 10 feet away, but with the GPS mapping chart we got right back. I spent about $800 and I'm glad I did.