weather/wind question for April 15-17th weather/wind question for April 15-17th weather/wind question for April 15-17th weather/wind question for April 15-17th
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default weather/wind question for April 15-17th

group of us heading over for Sat and Sun. looks like winds on Friday/Saturday aren't favorable. My question to those who have had more experience in the Western Basin: What wind speeds from the SE or S would make this unfishable? at 20-25 mph does the direction matter???? I have guys driving 14 hours to fish and I don't want them to waste precious gas money if we can't even get on the water.

I have an 18.5 ft fiberglass boat.Is fishing in 3ft waves even possible with this?

thanks guys/gals

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 18.5' Lund Grand Sport Tyee and wouldn’t try it, the lake will be chocolate milk and 4-6' that's a dangerous situation with the cold water.
    Safety first!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 28' hard top and I am not going fishing this weekend. Not worth it, and since I only live 2.5 hours away and fish Erie frequently, there will be other days. To answer your question, I would imagine that it will be "fishable" in very close to shore with the SW winds. It will not be pleasent to fish in and in a small boat it could turn dangerous very quickly. If you are coming up anyway and want to fish, I would reccommend hitting a head boat if they are running, or maybe a private charter between davis besse and the maumee river.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stay Home

Follow the advice on the board...stay home. It's just not worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys. It's what I didn't want to hear but figured on. we were just hoping to go out of wild wings and fish 1 mile or so off shore and jig our limit early. But the winds on Friday won't help the water clarity either. Just got the boat this winter. I guess it will have to wait another week or so. Do you suppose the jig bite will still be good then? It sounds like it hasn't been hot yet anyway. !#@$ing weather this winter/spring is starting to get real old.

Thanks again. I'm off to break the horrible news to my brother and friends.

Post Thanks / Like

unless the forecast changes and it gets really hot real quick, we will probably be jigging into the beginning of may. Was out last saturday and my sonar/gps was showing surface temps of about 39 everywhere. Forecast so far have pretty much 50's thru next week with a hint of 60's possible. Not enough to warm up the water too quick. The jig bite should be on fire next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking to just hit the jig bite. trolling not a priority at this point. just wondering if this would change your opinion about whether or not I should try it. have a buddy telling me that I should still go as waves will be large 5miles out but with the south wind should still be able to catch fish close in. I just can't believe I could even get on the lake with 20+mph winds for 2 days even if I'm 20 yards off shore. Of course he's suggesting this before Fri & Saturday's expected hurricane

If anyone is planning on jigging this weekend let me know. Again, as I have only gone a few times I don't know how to cross reference the weather forecast with what the lake will be like.

thanks again gentlemen for all of your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the current temperatures, I'm certain that the jig bite will carry well into the second week of May. The jig bite is my favorite too. I've made several trips not heeding the advice of the board, cruising through the channel in Wild Wings, heading out thinking that the winds were not that bad, only to get out there about 3-400 yards and realize that: " it's not a very good idea to be out here right now". My boat is 22 feet long and with the waves, it's damn near impossible to present a jig properly when its popping three feet off the bottom. It's killer to wait an extra week but if you can, it would be well worth it in the end in terms of production.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdrieck View Post
    I'm looking to just hit the jig bite. trolling not a priority at this point. just wondering if this would change your opinion about whether or not I should try it. have a buddy telling me that I should still go as waves will be large 5miles out but with the south wind should still be able to catch fish close in. I just can't believe I could even get on the lake with 20+mph winds for 2 days even if I'm 20 yards off shore. Of course he's suggesting this before Fri & Saturday's expected hurricane

If anyone is planning on jigging this weekend let me know. Again, as I have only gone a few times I don't know how to cross reference the weather forecast with what the lake will be like.

thanks again gentlemen for all of your help!
    Ultimately it's going to be your call. We are just recommending to you that you do not take your boat out on the lake this weekend. No fish in that lake is worth your life, and the fishing to this point has just been ok. Since you said that you just got the boat this winter, I would assume that you don't have much experience boating on Erie, and I wouldn't make your maiden voyage a day with 5 to 8 footers predicted in the nearshore forecast. Like I said before, I am a hardcore fisherman and I have a 28' hard top Baha with a 9.5' beam, 454 inboard, and I have 20+ years experience boating and fishing Lake Erie. You couldn't pay me to go out fishing in the predicted weather this weekend. But nobody is going to stop you if you want to go. You most likely won't be the only out there.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks guys

I totally agree with you guys. Boca you are right. I've only gone out there 3 years and fished with a friend. Grew up in Minnesota fishing smaller lakes. Totally different ball game on Erie. Our lives are not worth it that's for sure. I'm hoping that the 10 day forecast is wrong for next weekend (more rain). it's a long ways out. the guys back home are willing to wait a couple weeks as long as the jig bite is somewhat still productive. I'd rather wait for better conditions and work harder for fish if we miss the hot jig bite. nothing like the erie jig bite. trolling is fun but it's more like towing in a fish in rather than feeling the hit!

Where to you go for "close to shore" condition reports? NOAA?

thanks again guys. Let me know when you guys do plan to go out there. the first round is on me at the Wild Wings.